Yorkshire Pudding

Advice please - chicken bleeding from beak - updated

My blue hybrid Violet has been below par for a few weeks. She has always been a poorly bird, never a good layer but a sweet character and a much loved girl.

She's lost lots of weight and not been eating well, but was still highly excited by treats like grapes, maggots or tuna and would go for them. She has also been very watery in the crop, but no infection just lots of clear watery fluid bubbling up.

Today though I found her with fresh bright red blood dripping from her beak, which was coming up from her throat. I suspect this has happened before as I have found blood spray but with no evidence of injury on either bird I couldn't tell the source. She seemed to be struggling to breathe so I gently turned her upside down and a couple of small clots came out, after which she settled down and had a drink and a few pecks of tuna.

I am quite sure this is serious.

Would it be best to have her PTS?

Edited by Guest

Possibly but the only ones who know anything about chooks are quite a distance away. My local vet is not much use In diagnosing chickens, but he would be able to euthanise her if necessary.

TBH I suspect there wouldn't be much else to be done :(

chickens have the same basic workings as any bird, does your vet not treat budgies or parrots either?

She has a suspected tumour. Not much to be done to treat it, but as she is bright and happy this morning she is still with us, scratching around & eating treats. When that changes we will do what is necessary to ensure she remains comfortable.

Edited to add: she has always been the chook who got everything - I've treated her for sour crop, impacted crop and had her to the vet numerous times over the years. Sad to say I can't rescue her this time.

that's very sad, did the vet suggest metacam at all? It might help if she's in pain? One of our girls had it when she had peritonitis. It might help ease her last days/weeks.

Sorry to hear about your girl :( I have had two ex batts with tumours, although they were abdominal and not in their throat. Both did well on frusemide, Clarissa 7 months and Martha 4 months. They were slower than the other girls but both girls had a good quality of life after disgnosis. Clarissa even grew feathers around her comb that she had never had before! Treasure every moment with your girl.