Heidi-Hi

Can I mix Bantams and 'normal' chickens?

OK... I've never done introductions before. Any tips? I've got an old single guinea pig cage with one quarter blocked off for sleeping and the rest wire. I use it for my 'hospital' or broody cage. If I put that in the WIR, and a couple of bantams in it, do I leave them in there for a few days, with food and water, and after that let them out every now and then, until they are all used to it?

I asked the very same question recently as I keep Bantams and wanted to introduce some 'regular' hens. I've had mixed responses from everywhere I have asked. I've decided that I will introduce two bigger hens but go for a 'light' breed. I've reserved 2 cream legbar girlies who are not quite old enough to come home yet. Tbh, my Polands have real chips on their shoulders, they don't worry me in the slightest but the Sussex bantam girlies are much more docile and they are the ones that I am worried will get bullied. Good luck whatever you decide!

I keep mine separately but if you do want to risk it, go extra carefully with the introductions and have a plan B.

Couldn't agree more. Some people have managed it (although it's easier to mix new big ones into existing group of bantys) I tried it with 3 existing bantys and tried to add my 2 bluebelles and it was very clear one of my little ones was in serious dangers of being killed.

It depends on the breed and the individual chicken tbh but I would definately be prepared to keep them separately if needed.

I have 2 big girls with 7 bantams....I have two eglus but they now all like to be together so they share a run and all sleep together....however as other people have said take your time with the intros. I found free ranging initially later in the pm with corn scattered helped.

Petal was a barre d'uccle and tiny compared to the LF however she took no nonsense when they tried to get between her and a mealworm.....never be fooled by the size of a bantam...what they lack in size they often make up in attitude. :wink:

I've got a mix and must say that my last introduction was the easiest I have done, introducing 2 seremas and 1 gold top to my clang of 5. 2 of which are huge breeds, Cochin and Plymouth rock type. I've also successfully intro 2 silkies in with no problems :D

I have got a pyramid built in my run which I think has helped tremendously with intros as it gives the newbies somewhere to get out of the way initially (see signature)

I have alot of Pekins kept with Large Fowl Hybrids, a Light Sussex, a Polish and a Wyandotte.

I did have two medium Turkeys and a Wyandotte bantam together, and a huge 26lb Turkey hen with 2 Miniature Silkies! It was their choice though, and i trusted the Turkey not to flatten them! :lol:

It all depends on the chickens and how temperamental they are. Why don't you split the run, so they can see and hear each other, and slowly introduce. :)

Some say put them in with the others at night.... Never worked for me. :?

I've got a bluebelle, a speckledy and until recently had a GNR. Last year we rescued a chicken of fate (a young light sussex bantam) - it took 4 months to merge them (she took a fair bit of pecking so we had to take our time).

It went like this

- first 3 weeks - kept separate

- after 3 weeks of quarantine we moved the eglu run close to the WIR

- next 2 months - would FR together but the bantam wasn't allowed near the WIR. Had to intervene from time to time.

- one more month - bantam was allowed into the run but not for long. Had to intervene from time to time.

- last month after that - bantam was allowed to merge with a bit of pecking

One key thing we did was allow a bit of pecking and feather pulling but as time went by, if we still saw severe pecking we separated the bully, shut her back in the WIR and left every other hen out. Oh and we ignored the bully for a while. Basically exactly what you'd do with a toddler!

Basically, take your time and supervise. The hens will tell you when they're ready.

One other thing we noticed is that the attention (pecking) that the bantam got was mainly from the top hen initially, then it filtered down over time as a pecking order became established.

good luck, and it is possible!

Well, I went chicken shopping today... and came home with a HUGE white Orpington, now called Emily, and a lovely POL white Silkie called Bella.

I wanted some white chickens because my other 9 are all some shade of dark :-)

They are now in the main run in a guinea pig cage for a few days, and we will take it from there. Emily is the boss, but I have my eye on her, as Bella is already my little sweetie...