auntielizzie

Should I shut my chickens in at night

I am wondering whether or not it would be better to continue shutting the girls up in their house at night, or whether it will be OK to leave the pophole open during the summertime so that they can get themselves up as it is getting lighter in the mornings. I think they should be safe enough in their WIR, but should I err on the side of caution? Am I taking an unnecessary risk and will this cause me problems come the winter when I will want to shut them up again at night to keep them warm, ie are they going to start clucking to be let out? :?

At the moment I leave the pop hole open only because Ive just introduced my ex bats to the oldies and dont want to shut them all up together as world war 3 might arupt . :roll: But I think its personally opinion and yes they would be alot safer locked away from the hungry fox . :evil: youve gotto do what you feel best .

I'm just feeling mean and guilty. Ive just been away for two nights and had to leave the pophole open for them as I had "Ooops, word censored!"ody who could come in early morning and late evening to let them out/in (somebody kindly came in during the daytime to collect eggs and to feed, water and clean). I get the feeling the girls were quite happy with this new arrangement, especially as they stayed out quite late tonight and had happily settled down perching on their outside perch. I went out and put them into their house in the end as I was in a quandry what to do for the best. They both grumbled quietly! You know how it is, they have this way of making you feel guilty :roll::roll:

It really depends if you feel your WIR is safe enough. If you feel that it is fox proof, then there's no reason you shouldn't leave the pop hole open overnight. I have a wooden coop with run and hubby has built a frame with weld mesh floor for it to stand on so that nothing can dig in. I leave the pop hole open all summer so that the girls can get up and go to bed as they please.

I'm assuming you have an eglu? But if not, many wooden coops can be fitted with auto door openers which could be a compromise.

Mine are in a cube in a WIR. I lock them in every night.

I understand the rationale with leaving the door open, but couldn't forgive myself if something managed to break in overnight; at least this way I can guarantee their overnight safety. We're up pretty early usually so they're not sat around cooped up too long.

Hi

my thoughts on this dilemma are

1) if you trust the safety of your run in the day when you are not around, then I don't think night-time makes much different to determined mr and mrs fox so if its safe in the day it must be safe at night ?

2) I do not like to leave the pop hole open (because I don't have a WIR and that would be stupid :shock: but mainly because) its right by the nest box and the girls like their privacy. Their eglu door is popped half open with rocks either side so they are more protected from strong gusts of wind at night. Mine love being out at dawn scratching about in the run and I would have not be able to let them out that early since the clocks changed. So go for it..... :)

I never close the Eglu or cube doors. I am satisfied that things are as safe as they can be and prefer the hens to have the more natural access to light.

It is all a matter of weighing the risks in your particular area up coupled with the security of you coup, plus your personal ethos.

Hi

my thoughts on this dilemma are

1) if you trust the safety of your run in the day when you are not around, then I don't think night-time makes much different to determined mr and mrs fox so if its safe in the day it must be safe at night ?

I agree. If your run is secure enough, I would leave the pop hole open to give the hens some freedom.