sazmet

Best Flea Treatment??

As it's the first flea season for my kitties (they have been indoor cats till now - scared of snow and chickkies!! :lol: ) I was wandering whats the best thing to treat/deter fleas? I've got them each a flea collor from P&H but should I use something else as well?

xxx

I would use one of the veterinary strength spot ons. Some of them are only available from your vets on prescription (usual practise is your vet has had to have seen them within the last 6 months for you to get them) These include Frontline Combo, Advantix, Advocate and Stronghold and some you can get without a prescription such as Frontline, Fiprospot, Effipro and Bob Martin Double Action- mostly sold online but also stocked by some chemists and some supermarkets. Some of the prescription ones boast that they worm as well but none cover all worm types, and some will prevent hatching of the eggs that are laid within the home which the non prescription ones (except the Bob Martin Double Action) ones don't so to be complete in your flea control you would need to use a household flea spray.

So, pretty much any of the spot ons above will do the job. I wouldn't rely on a collar though personally. You can also give a tablet or liquid called Program which stops them getting fleas and is given monthly. If you have a vet handy, I would go for Frontline Combo or Stronghold perhaps. If not, any of the non prescription ones are fine as apart from the Bob Martin One, they are pretty much the same with different names :D

Thanks for the advice! Got the frontline from Asda. Phoned the vet and thats what they sell - she said that the collars are all but useless! (thats £9 i'm not getting back! haha!) so fingers crossed for a flealess life from now on! :)