Nicola O

So excited -they are all hatched *new pics*

Got the candler and just had a look at the eggs.

Eggs 1, 2, 3 and 4 had a large, dark mass and I couldn't really see much - could see the air sack and a few veins in the dark bit. I think I saw movement in a couple of them, but that could have been just from me turning them. Does this sound about right as we are on day 16 now :?: .

Egg 5 is completely clear, I could see right throught it and there is nothing :( .

But I'm hoping 4/5 is good. Fingers crossed for next week.

Nicola.

Good luck, it's so exciting and stressful but also amazing x so enjoy. Mine all hatched in the incubator yesterday - one with me helping it out completely which was very very stressful but all are good now and very cheeky! It's sooo worth it xxx looking forward to hearing about the hatch!

(hatch)

Oh My Lord - it's started :shock: .

Checked the eggs when I got in from work and no 3 was shoved out behind Lily again, and as I picked her up to pop it back with the others I thought I heard a cheep! Admitedly (spl?) Lily was grumbling away next to my ear as I was holding her but I swear there was a high piched cheep. And now I've just popped her out for her ablutions and I checked the eggs and No 1 HAS PIPPED :shock:. As soon as Lily had her jumbo poo she went straight back in.

As today is day 20 I'm wondering if this is a bantam egg, it is smaller than the others. I am so excited now, and have to fight the urge to keep looking in to see what's happening - lets hope for a little fluffy chick in the morning :D .

Nicola with a little (hatch) on it's way !!

I actually slept very well but dreamt that when I checked the nest it was FULL if fluffy chicks :lol: .

Have just quickly lifted Lily to have a peep and the egg is no further along yet, still at pipping stage but I could hear it cheeping. Hopefully it had a good sleep over night and has now got the energy to pop out during the day. I thought Lily would help it but I'm not sure realises what is happening at the mo.

Nicola.

EGG NO. 1 IS BORN !!!

Sorry to shout, bit excited. Came home to a tiny, tiny little bundle of black fluff :D , but he's injured :( . I think perhaps Lily has pecked him. He has a wound on the left side of his face/head - not deep, looks like he's just been skinned. Will post a picture of him.

chickno1-2.jpg

chickno1-1.jpg

Should I put anything on the wound, I've got purple spray - can you put that on a day old chick??

Oh, and egg no 2 has now pipped as well :D

Nicola

Is Lily happy? My Mildred just looked a bit perplexed as to what was happening for the first day :lol:

She seems totally bemused by the whole thing to be honest :lol: .

I don't know wether he hatched with this little wound or if Lily has pecked him a bit too hard. I've just been to Pets at Home and bought an antibacterial powder for poultry and given him a little puff of it. When I lifted Lily out so I could get to him I noticed egg no 3 has pipped as well. I must have very clever chicks as they are all pipping in numerical order :lol: .

Nicola

Had five originally and numbered them all (1-5 obviously). Number 5 turned out to be infertile so removed it, and so far the others have been pipping in numerical order.

Chick seems OK apart from his face. Fingers and toes are all present and correct and quite lively and vocal.

Nicola

All looks ideal. Hatching is a very rewarding experience, so keep us updated with progress :D. Be warned though, once you start, it's incredibly difficult to stop (bit like chicken keeping, but the urge is even stronger :shock:).

Andrew

haha!!! yes andrew is so right !!!

I had my first hatching from a broody last year since then I have had 6 lots of chicks thanks to my lovely buff orps that keep going broody , its very addictive I love it!!

you little house looks amazing !! its all very rewarding!!! Good luck happy hatching!!! :)

Number three is not out yet, but he's well on his way....I can see his little beak beavering away at the little hole he's made, which is bigger than it was this morning. I'll post some more piccies once he's out so you can see all three :D

Nothing from 4 yet, but day 21 was only yesterday so it can have a couple more days yet.

My candling didnt go well, i dont think any are fertile from what i saw but its early days and ill do it again on Friday. Cant wait to see pics of more of them.

Shame, but you never know, fingers crossed :pray: ,

All looks ideal. Hatching is a very rewarding experience, so keep us updated with progress :D. Be warned though, once you start, it's incredibly difficult to stop (bit like chicken keeping, but the urge is even stronger :shock:).

Andrew

haha!!! yes andrew is so right !!!

I had my first hatching from a broody last year since then I have had 6 lots of chicks thanks to my lovely buff orps that keep going broody , its very addictive I love it!!

you little house looks amazing !! its all very rewarding!!! Good luck happy hatching!!! :)

Your telling me, I've already thought that if I start earlier next year I could get two hatches with Lily :lol: .

They are all hatched !!!

No. 3 was out this this morning - a beatiful golden colour, and no. 4 had hatched when I got home - a lovely chocolate brown :D . I suppose you'll want pictures.......

Chick number 1

chickno1-3.jpg

Chick number 2

chickno2.jpg

Chick number 3

chickno3.jpg

Chick number 4 - still finding his feet

chickno4.jpg

When I popped Lily out for a few minutes the change in her was surprising, normally she has a quick poo then wants to go straight back in but today she went to her dust bath and spent 15 mins thrashing about - as though now the last chick was hatched she could finally have some 'me time' :lol:

Now thay are all hatched I've moved them from the raised nest, to the floor of the house and they are all really well settled

Lilyandbabies.jpg

I'm not sure if it's my camera phone, or photo bucket, butI can't seem to get the pictures any bigger :think: .

you've got a lovely mix of colours there Nicola, i cant wait to see what they grow into. Well done to Lily, what a clever girl. Bet you are pleased they are all out now. Thats good going you know ive never had all remaining fertile eggs hatch before, usually 1 or 2 die in shell.

Last night when Lily went to bed she wandered into the coop and left her babies behind !! I waited for about 10 mins thinking she would come out and call them in, but no, she settled down and got comfy. I had to pop them in as they haven't quite worked out the ramp yet. Tonight chick 3 worked it out and followed her in but I still had to help the others.

I checked each chick over today and noticed that no. 2 chick has got a little fluffyness forming down his legs. As I am playing 'guess the breed' with these chicks can anyone tell me what breed that could indicate.

It has been chuckin' it down most of the day so will try and get some more pictures tomorrow.