SteveC

Poorly Hen - One Eye Shut

Hoping for some advice.

One of my girls (Rosie) has been keeping one eye closed most of the time for the last couple of days - she's also today become lethargic and just seems to want to sit quietly. :(

I've had a look and can't see any signs of anything wrong at all!

When I throw some corn in the WIR the others all rush around madly whereas Rosie has a bit of a stroll to get a few bits - using both eyes - then goes and sits quietly again.

Should I be concerned? :anxious: What should I look for? :?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Hiya, we have a partially sighted hen, Willow was pecked and she wouldnt open it but when we did it was dull, not bright like a usual eye, now it is all cloudy but we had some eye drops that helped loads - would deffo recommend, to be honest i think they saved her eye and some of her sight, they were called fucithalmic and we gave her 2drops 3 times a day, she had metacam for pain relief twice a day and then some antibiotics just because she had sour crop at the same time and it made her vulneable to colds and sneezes - that could just be willow though with her bad luck!! have you seen any of the others pecking her or picking on her? if so it might be worth seperating her, that is one thing i would recommend. Willow was seperated for 3 weeks, until her meds ran out, the first time i let her put herself to bed she went into the cube, and i pulled her out thinking she wasnt ready, the second night she did the same and i saw her snuggled up with her sister Lily and didnt have the heart to pull her out, i bet she was so lonely in the eglu but it was for her own good. Willow now is a happy hen, lays an egg everday and mainly sunbathes under the cherry tree! her head will be in the shade and her tail in the sun, she is such a gentle hen and im happy she has been able to recover (the vet wanted to sew her eye up or take it out!!) she looks so happy and content when shes snoozing, and i LOVE it when she puts her head in her wing and she looks like a big breathing white pebble! i just want to go out and hug her but i dont want to disturb her! let us know how you get on xxx

Thanks for the helpful comments. As a quick update, I took Rosie to the vet and she has been diagnosed with Mycoplasma (which I didn't know anything about). :( I am told that she could infect the rest of the girls too - so all of them are on the Tylan dosing as well as Rosie having some drops for her poorly eye. :( Don't really know how she could have caught it - but rather suspect that it must have been whilst she was on 'holiday' at a local farm.

The vet asked whether she had been sneezing to which I replied 'I don't think so - I've certainly not seen her'. Less than 30 seconds later ...... atchoo! So much for my skills of observation! :doh:

On a positive note, at least she is still eating and drinking so hopefully will be on the mend now. :) I will keep you updated.

Sorry to hear about Rosie and hope she is improving. Myco is often carried by wild birds, as are several other diseases that your chooks can pick up. With regret, I have stopped feeding the birds to discourage them. It is important to keep them away from your chooks feed and from where they eat.

Unfortunately, once you have Myco in your flock, it is only controllable not curable and will re-occur when the birds are under stress or below par.

Myco is often carried by wild birds, as are several other diseases that your chooks can pick up. With regret, I have stopped feeding the birds to discourage them. It is important to keep them away from your chooks feed and from where they eat.

Yes, I read that. Don't think it is a factor here though as the girls are all in a WIR all the time.

I would ring the local farm she stayed on whilst on holiday - thats not good at all is it?

Have emailed to let them know - not sure if there is a connection really as she's been back with us for about 2 weeks before showing symptoms. :think:

Unfortunately, once you have Myco in your flock, it is only controllable not curable and will re-occur when the birds are under stress or below par.

Yes I read that too. :( Considering our options for future holidays - don't want to stress any of them by moving them around. I would prefer to keep them safe and secure in the WIR but don't yet know who can look after them!

Anyway, on a positive note, I got home from work yesterday to find Rosie behaving much more like normal (at the front of the gaggle by the WIR door wanting treats, rather than hanging back) and the eye is now open as well! :clap: She seems much improved so I feel a lot happier now! :D