johnandkymberley

my hens hate grit!!!

I have got a bit of an egg eating problem but managed to solve it with the small set of roosting bars that come with the eglu, the eggs roll underneath it and the hens cant get them! genius! but the softies obv dont, i have one grub full of grit and the rest are pellets, but my hens dont eat grit, they hate it, they free range as much as possible but do spend at least 4 hours in the run, do they need to spend more time in the run or is there anything i can mix into the grit so they are attracted to it? like corn or something but i dont want to give them treats in the morning if i can help it, also will ACV and some poulty tonic help? thanks xx

I think its a bit like the saying, "you can lead a horse to water".... I leave grit out for mine but they dont appear to eat it! Yours may have a nibble when you are not looking, also if they fr they may be picking up bits of grit from your garden. I wouldnt worry too much! Sorry forgot to say i would put some acv in their water i think its quite useful.

If they are free ranging they will be picking up grit naturally. There will be degree of grit added to pellets and mash also. I don't give mine any additional grit. Remember that there are 2 types of grit. Soluble that will help with calcium intake and insoluble that helps grind food up in the crop. I would leave grit available in the run and you could also scatter a little in the borders where they free range and no doubt they will pick some up when free ranging.

hmmm, good ideas there, i use the oyster shell grit? whichever that is? we have 3 grubs, but as the grit always fell to the bottom of the grub i decided to have 2 pure pellets and 1 just grit, but maybe i should switch back and then scatter around the garden, the hens would like that i think!

Also how much tonic and ACV to put into each superglug, i have the johnsons one and usually put a capful in (around 10ml) is that enough?

I mix some oyster shell in with the girls pellets, its not their favourite snack but they do eat it- even if there is always a lot left at the bottom. I also cook the egg shells they produce and grind some up into a fine powder and some into flakes and mix that in with their corn snacks and their pellets, to hedge my bets...trickery seems to work for me :) they're so greedy whatever gets in the way of their food they will eat as well...

I also cook the egg shells they produce

Newbie question - how do you 'cook' shells ?? :oops:

Nuke em !!!!

Anywhere between two and four minutes (depending on how many shells you put in) in the microwave is enough, or just put them in the oven when it is on for other things!

hehe! I just whack them in the oven when its on. I don't think you can burn them...you can tell they're done because they disintegrate when you try and crunch them up- or anything left in the shell goes brown. I think it's just to make them clean and easier to smash up. Another tip from granny! :D

hehe! I just whack them in the oven when its on. I don't think you can burn them...you can tell they're done because they disintegrate when you try and crunch them up- or anything left in the shell goes brown. I think it's just to make them clean and easier to smash up. Another tip from granny! :D

Oooooooh, you can burn them!!! :oops: It does take some doing though! I managed to burn some last week, left them in the micro for ten minutes instead of two, the kitchen still smells like a barbeque, but no harm done!!! Other than avoiding burning them, Im sure timing isnt crucial!