Seagazer

First time camping - what do I need?

Well I survived and have to admit to quite enjoying it! Never thought I'd hear myself saying that. I did get a bit cold during the night (OH didn't put the mats under the mattress :roll: ) but it didn't rain until Sunday so that was a blessing. I think we were spoilt in that we were with friends who had their motorhome there so we used their kitchen to make tea, bacon rolls etc. There were a couple of portaloos in the field which weren't too bad until the 2nd day...... :shock:

Here are some photos of the weekend. The most important thing of the weekend was that on Sunday YS came first in the Mens K1 slalom with a cracking time and has been promoted to Division 3 now. :clap::dance:

IMG_0003.jpg

The man in the photo is our friend Mark, Cookie is now very muddy looking.

IMG_0137.jpg

YS in action :dance:

IMG_0158.jpg

Collecting his medal and promotion certificate - a smile on his face :D

Thank you very much. I'm happy that a) I've tried camping and enjoyed it (oh dear I can feel a shopping trip coming on) :roll: and that YS is enjoying doing a sport. He's never been the sporty type and was quite happy sitting reading or more frequently playing on x-box, computer etc. My OH has now just started kayaking, he did try the slalom course but not in competition and he managed to stay afloat - most of the time :lol:

Hows about this for comfy camping though? I want one! 8)

Purple Bell tent

That's my type of tent - not sure if OH would go for it though. :lol:

I think my basic requirements if we are to buy a tent (and with lots more kayaking competitions to go to I think we'll be buying sooner or later) are that I must have one I can stand up in, this weekend hasn't done much for my dodgy knee with having to crawl into the tent. I noticed a lot of people had the same sort of size as the green one we were using but then had smaller pop up tents for storage. It would also be good to have a living space as well to sit in although we used the awning with the motorhome and then decamped inside when it got too cold in the evening.

Our friends use the big grey tent in the first photo as a changing room, its full of everyone's kayaking gear and looks like a jumble sale by the end of the day. :wink:

Cookie snuggled up on her dog bed that was squashed into the side of me in the tent and didn't move until the morning. She had two doggie friends to play with and is suitably exhausted today and hasn't moved off the sofa.

There are some lovely tents out there - definitely worth doing your homework first to make sure you don't end up with one that doesn't suit you.

My dogs love camping - run themselves ragged and are always exhausted when we get home. Works on the kids as well :lol: We are off to Wales the weekend after next - have a lovely pitch beside a river for them all to paddle/swim/dinghy in 8)

Ta dah! This is our tent that we bought yesterday, along with a table, might actually attempt to cook something this time. It took us about 30 minutes to put up with a bit of huffing and puffing from OH and me. :roll:

We are off to Shepperton Weir tomorrow for a slalom competition, hopefully we'll be camping although the site is very small and not sure if our tent is going to be too big. I shall be quite disappointed if we don't use it :shock: (I've really shocked myself with that thought). We have another competition to go to in a couple of weeks so will probably use it then if not. I'm also going to camp when I go and visit my brother and sister down at the coast. We used to have a static caravan there so will just camp instead. :D

P1200125.jpg

I think Cookie is trying to decide which bedroom she will sleep in :lol:

Thanks Reiki, we went down to Cotswolds at Newham Court in Maidstone, they have lots of tents up in a field so we could look at all different types. We get a discount from them because of belonging to Canoe England :dance:

OH is very happy, he's always wanted to do camping. Me, I'd still like a motorhome! :wink::lol: