Smudge

Is potato foliage poisonous to chickens?

Hi

I was looking through a Haynes chicken manual that someone bought me as a gift and I noticed that it listed potato foliage as poisonous to chickens. I can't find any reference to this in the Omlet list of poisonous plants so I'm wondering if it's correct? :?

One of my girls has been a bit under the weather the last 2 or 3 days, so I started a course of Flubenvet in case it's worms, but I'm now wondering if it could be the potato leaves that they've had a real go at through the netting around the veggie patch. What would be the symptoms of plant poisoning? :anxious:

all the books say that they are but my girls have been helping themselves to them since spring so much so that a few of my potato plants have only bare stalks they also strip my rubarb right to the ground with no signs of ill health

I don't give them potatoes or tomato leaves they help themselves

Thanks for the confirmation.

It does sound like she may have been over-indulging in the potato leaves then, and that's what's caused her to feel a bit peaky. I'll carry on with the Flubenvet for the seven days anyway and as they'll have to stay in the run it will keep her away from the potato leaves as well, so hopefully all round she'll improve.

Maybe I can try and tie the potato foliage back and keep it away from the netting, then she'll have to fly in to get at it!