hammy72

new girls settling in

Well we had a relaxed journey back from JC Chickens, the girls just sat in the dog crate. Didn't flap about when I lifted them into their run. They went straight into their eglu and the goldline just pops her head out occasionally. The white sussex is sitting right at the back of the eglu and I haven't seen her again yet. I assume this is normal behaviour when they come to a new home and are getting used to new sounds and smells? Their eglu and run are behind a windbreak at the moment so that the dogs don't scare them. Harvey the labrador doesn't seem interested, Tess has had a sniff around but not trying to get in to see them. I am hoping they come out to eat and drink today.

We will be naming them, my reluctant husband announced that today was Chicknesday and wants to name one of them. I also gave him the Haynes manual on chickens as a wedding anniversary present yesterday.

Update: Goldline (now named Tikka) has been out all afternoon doing chickeny things, pecking, eating, scratching about, preening herself. Seems to want to be in charge and is chasing the White Sussex (now named Snowflake) and pecked a feather out. Assume this is them establishing the "pecking order". Snowflake has managed to get some corn by poking her head out of the eglu but has not made it to the feeder yet which is up by the door. This is where the water is too.

Edited by Guest