mumblecheekyuggs

Bonding rabbits?

I have introduced a neutered female to a baby male rabbit without any problems. The female was about 3 and had lived on her own since the death of her male companion. I was reluctant to introduce another rabbit to her as she was quite territorial and would growl and scrabble at us. Is is much better for rabbits to have company though so decided to try to find her a friend. I spoke to the pet shop owner and she agreed if I had a problem with introducing a baby to her that I could return him. Initially she chased him about the run but she just wanted to get a good look at him and wasn't aggressive at all. Infact she just wanted to mother him. I, with some trepidation, put them together in the hutch that night. In the morning all was well and they lived happily together until she died several years later.

On another occasion I introduced a baby female to a neutered male and again had no problems. I believe a male and female ( one or both neutered) is the best combination. As mentioned I have only ever introduced a baby (8 weeks or so) to an adult. A friend of mine tried to introduce two adult female rabbits, they fought and had to have separate accommodation.

That is my experience. Hope this helps :D

We have a boy and girl bonded pair. The boy is neutered and the girl will be when she's old enough. Spooks (male) was about 8 months when we got Snowy (female), she was 8 weeks old.

We followed the advice of our neighbour who is doing an animal management degree or something like that. We have a 7ft hutch and divided it in two using a wire mesh in a frame (we borrowed from our neighbour ). The rabbits could see and smell eachother through the mesh. After a couple of days we introduced them in neutral territory - our hall. We placed a towel on our laminate flooring. They didn't like the flooring as it's slippery so came together on the towel. We also had a tunnel in the hall in case one wanted to hide from the other. When we put them back in the hutch we swapped them over to the different side - again so they got used to the other's smell and wouldn't be territorial when the divide came down. We would stroke one then the other frequently, again for them to get used to the smell. We followed this routine - dates in the hall and swapping sides every few days and it wasn't long before the iron curtain came down. Spooks was a true gent and neither has shown aggression towards the other. They are well and truly loved up now.

I've also heard the best pairing is neutered male/female. Supposedly it's easier to introduce a female to a male as girls can be territorial, but I'd imagine it would depend on the individual rabbit. We had two females before, got them at the same time - fine at 1st but when their hormones kicked in one bullied the other and we had to separate them.

Good luck - let us know how you get on and pics please if you get a new bunny.

Thanks for the info!! Got some more questions, so if u dont mind answering them that would be useful. The girl I have now is three, so should the male be at the same age or should he be young( 8 weeks )? Same breed or different? And at what age do I introduce the male? Thanks.

Not sure whether to do it or not? Still thinking.

In my experience it worked with introducing an 8 week old. Maybe someone else has tried with older buns but I think that it could be more of a threat to an older rabbit having another adult to cope with. With regards breeds. I have introduced a baby mini lop to a Netherland dwarf (my bad tempered girl) and on another occasion an adult mini lop to a baby mini lop without problems. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for info! Just wondering do they both need to be neutered? Still thinking about what to do. I am going to make a cube into a rabbit hutch. By replacing the ladder with a ramp and removing the roosting bars.

She has never been with a partner before as she was a single baby. So could she be aggressive towards the new rabbit if I get one.

Thanks for advice!!!!

I have not had experience with introducing un-neutered rabbits, but mine were not operated on to allow them to bond it was just due to various circumstances and in the Netherlands case to try to reduce her aggression. At present we have mum and baby boy. He will be neutered asap but I am not sure whether to neuter mum too. I believe it is healthier for females to be neutered but it is a larger and more expensive op. I plan to leave her at the moment. If her behaviour causes any concern then she may have the op too. If your female is placid then I would leave her but get the male neutered quickly unless you want babies!

With regards your rabbits possible attitude to a new arrival would it be possible to arrange to take the baby back to the pet shop if they is a problem with them getting on? If she is a gentle rabbit I reckon she would be curious of a new arrival but would accept a young one....this is only going by my experience...I do not know if others would agree with me or not :?

I do not have cube but the sleeping part seems quite high up. Do you think they would go up a ramp to bed?

Thanks for your replies. Loyla layer (spelling?) I think I an going to get the cube even if I do not get the other bun. The ladder is going to be replaced with a ramp, but will it be safe for a bun inside the sleeping compartment at night (fixes are around where I live) and could she hurt herself in it? Thanks everyone!!!!