Benaberry Posted September 3, 2011 Share Posted September 3, 2011 (edited) Went out 'chicken shopping' this morning with the intention of getting a new buff orpington and cream legbar as our old ones were the favourites of the original flock. Managed to get what we wanted, but i'm not quite sure where all the others appeared from (now I know I have a lovely, spacious WIR chicken alcatraz now, but I wasn't planning on filling it up just yet, honest ) So we now have: Myrtle - buff orpington Cordelia - cream legbar Mabel - cuckoo orpington Annie - double-laced barnevelder Rosie - rhode island red Jemima - white leghorn (hubby's 'accidental' purchase - he's as bad as I am ) Whoops (hubby is just relieved to have escaped without any of the pekins or silkies in the car as well ) The old girls are locked in their existing run (still inside the WIR) whilst the new girls ramble around outside them. Can see I'm going to have some issues between Harriet the 'bitza' and Rosie the Rhodie - the others are pretty much ignoring each other, but those two are really squaring up, and Rosie is making a right racket Will just take it slowly and see how it goes... They all seem like lovely girls though, and Annie the barnevelder has given us an egg already. It's so nice to have garden eggs again Edited September 5, 2011 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
counturchickens Posted September 3, 2011 Share Posted September 3, 2011 Now then, you know pics are compulsory! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Benaberry Posted September 3, 2011 Author Share Posted September 3, 2011 I know... Will sort some out tomorrow - although wish I had a camera tonight - just went up to put them all to bed to find them roosting all over the place, including on the roof of the existing run... wing clipping tomorrow I think Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted September 4, 2011 Share Posted September 4, 2011 Don't blame you, too good to resist How did you get them all in to roost? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennym Posted September 4, 2011 Share Posted September 4, 2011 Another stirling example of chicken maths at work, although 2 becoming 6 isn't quite as impressive as 6 becoming 84. (see Redwing's 'couple of trios' ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Benaberry Posted September 4, 2011 Author Share Posted September 4, 2011 Luckily they were all very sleepy, so a tall husband with a torch did the honours I've seen Redwing's "couple of trios" - I thought I was bad; I did at least manage to stop one RIR turning into one RIR broody with 3 chicks that four-year-old son wanted (along with a peacock ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Benaberry Posted September 5, 2011 Author Share Posted September 5, 2011 Finally got some - what do you think? Cordelia (Cream Legbar) & Annie (Barnevelder) Annie: Rosie (Rhode Island Red): Mabel (Cuckoo Orpington): Jemima (White-ish- Leghorn): Darcy (Buff Orpington - after a couple of days as Myrtle, decided she looked more like a Darcy ): The almost-finished WIR (hubby just needs to finish securing the far end and put the roof on, so the girls are still locked in the old run at night; that will be coming out once the WIR is fully secure just leaving the house in there): And I couldn't resist putting in these two - Hope, looking lovely in the sun: Mealworm feeding frenzy : Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted September 5, 2011 Share Posted September 5, 2011 Well I'm not surprised you couldn't resist those girls! They look lovely individuals but even lovelier as a collection Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted September 5, 2011 Share Posted September 5, 2011 They all look great, especially the barnevelder! I wish that there were some suppliers who sold them near us. And some way to convince my parents to buy a and let me have some more hens! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted September 5, 2011 Share Posted September 5, 2011 Rosie's feathering is beautiful, such a deep red Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted September 6, 2011 Share Posted September 6, 2011 Annie is a stunner - what pretty feathers she has! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted September 6, 2011 Share Posted September 6, 2011 Gorgeous girls . Some lovely feathers there . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennym Posted September 7, 2011 Share Posted September 7, 2011 Oh, they are lovely. I really want a CLB - maybe not as beautifully feathered as Annie & Rosie but I LOVE the hairdo (and some coloured eggs would be nice ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mercedes55 Posted September 7, 2011 Share Posted September 7, 2011 Lovely pictures, gorgeous girls they are too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vickichicky Posted September 7, 2011 Share Posted September 7, 2011 I've got 3 Barnvelders who are 17 weeks now (Isabella, Florance & Gertrude) and an 18 month old Cream Legbar (Lottie)! Great Chickens!! Here are mine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Benaberry Posted September 7, 2011 Author Share Posted September 7, 2011 I've got 3 Barnvelders who are 17 weeks now (Isabella, Florance & Gertrude) and an 18 month old Cream Legbar (Lottie)!Great Chickens!! Gorgeous girls (my new baby bunny is called Lottie ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...