Banus

Woodchip - the way to go!

Hi all,

As the title suggests and after some research, it appears that Woodchip (NOT bark or mulch) appears to be the ideal base material for an Eglu run. If you put a layer of weed stop fabric material underneath it also prevents the woodchip coming into contact with the earth underneath and turning into a big brown soup - not good in winter! The co"Ooops, word censored!"r the woodchip the better as it doesn’t get flicked through the grill of the run.

The ideal product which I’m trying to locate is called ‘Play Grade Woodchip’ as it’s used in children’s play areas. There are suppliers in Inverness / Plymouth and Norfolk just about as far away as you can get from Worcester in the West Mids and the carriage cost makes these suppliers unsuitable. Also you have to buy in bulk which then results in high costs and storage issues.

There is a huge B&Q in Kidderminster which someone suggested stock it but they don't! Also Tree surgeons products are too fine / small pieces which defeats the object. So can anyone suggest a supplier of Woodchippings in the West Mids / Hereford area please?

Edited by Guest

Hi all,

The ideal product which I’m trying to locate is called ‘Play Grade Woodchip’ as it’s used in children’s play areas. There are suppliers in Inverness / Plymouth and Norfolk just about as far away as you can get from Worcester in the West Mids and the carriage cost makes these suppliers unsuitable. Also you have to buy in bulk which then results in high costs and storage issues.

Where in Plymouth ? If B&Q not stocking I will have to look elsewhere !

Alerted by this post and seemingly short supply of Woodchips, I went to B&Q today (Gloucester) and there was 2 pallets of natural hard wood chips. Needless to say I stocked up and bought 4 bags! I hope this means that B&Q are still going to stock it!

This is probably wishful thinking but I maybe it's just now showing up in the website for some reason.

Alerted by this post and seemingly short supply of Woodchips, I went to B&Q today (Gloucester) and there was 2 pallets of natural hard wood chips. Needless to say I stocked up and bought 4 bags! I hope this means that B&Q are still going to stock it!

Just Checked with Gloucester before I make the trip and they DONT have any in! This is ridiculous - Anyone would think we were after hens teeth :lol:

OK guys,

Just bought 6 bags finest hardwood woodchip from B&Q Redditch. 56 litre bags at £5.56 per bag. I left about 16 bags on the pallet. When that lot has gone then I think that'll be it! Doesn't look like the pic on the outside of the bag but top stuff though :D

Edited by Guest

Just to say that Newland Poultry near Malvern in Worcestershire have got bags of play-grade woodchip in stock (although I notice it doesn't show on their website). We visited at the weekend and Sarah said that she's just found a reliable supplier of woodchip that she's happy with (she said she thought the previous stuff they had was too sharp) so there shouldn't be any stock problems, and they're selling 75l bags for £7.50.