Roobaloo

Is it time? :( Opinions please!

I put a post on here a little while ago about my beautiful girl, Robin. Her pupil was extremely contracted and I wondered if it was Mareks.

No other symptoms developed, but it has become very clear she is partially blind. It's slightly cloudy, the pupil is so small that on first inspection it doesn't even appear to be there. Today the sun is very bright and she's keeping the eye closed, which she didn't do yesterday when it was overcast.

She's active, seems bright and alert..at a glance, you'd not know there was a problem.

My Vet says it'd be very expensive to investigate further and ultimately it would be futile as there'd be little they could do for her even if they knew what it was. He suggested euthanising her or seeing how she goes.

I'm torn as to what I should do next. I don't know if she's suffering in any way, But I don't want to end her life if she's coping. I also don't want her to get hurt (or worse) by the other hens, because she's now got a weakness. :cry:

What would you do?

It's a very difficult decision to have to make.

Personally, if her quality of life is still good (still eating, enjoying running around with her friends etc., doing normal chicken things) I would not have her pts at this point but I would watch her carefully and be ready to act swiftly if/when it became necessary.

Sorry about your girl and I'm glad she is still bright.

I agree with Egghead. If she were mine, I would keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't being bullied and is eating/drinking/behaving normally, but wouldn't have her PTS unless her quality of life was compromised or she was obviously suffering.

Her general demeanour should give you some clues as to how she is feeling but, if you are in any doubt, you could have another chat with the vet.

Good luck - it is not easy :(

If she is active, bright and alert I'd say take her home and let her live her life. A few years ago I took one of my chooks to the vet, to cut a long story short, he said that at the end of the day she is only a chicken and I should consider putting her down. She was not in any pain, although partially lame. I took her home and let her do what she had always enjoyed doing. Whenever I was gardening she accompanied me, pick at all the worms and bugs, she free ranged round the garden (although rather slowly), she loved being cuddled and was a great companian.

Two and a half years later she was still enjoying life. She eventually passed away very peacefully and quickly in my arms one morning. I am so glad I didn't listen to that vet.

I totally agree with the others - as long as she is happy and you can monitor her well then I'd keep her going. Check her often for weight to make sure she isn't not eating and ensure you keep the lice/mite/worming regime up so she has no extra burdens to carry. I wouldn't be in a hurry to introduce any new stock either. Having said all that, if she did start to deteriorate in any way, I would make the decision to cull/PTS quickly.

Hi Roobaloo, sorry to hear about your girl.

By coincidence, I have a legbar who showed similar symptoms: contracted pupil, eye clouding over, going blind, etc. This happened two years ago (in fact she may have come to us with a funny pupil; we were new to chickens then and didn't notice this until much later) but she is still with us, and still going strong. She is a very secure no. 4 in the pecking order (of 11) and has no difficulty in keeping her minions in check (ex-batts and 2 marans, all considerably larger than her). The only time when she needs some assistance is when I scatter treats; they have to be on her 'right' side otherwise she simply doesn't know about them.

I agree with the others: if she is bright, and not suffering or being bullied, then there is no reason why she should not live a long and full life with sight in just the one eye.

Thanks everyone!! I really don't want to lose her...I was sat hugging her, in tears, when I wrote my original post :oops: ....but want to make sure I'm doing what's best for her, not me.

Should I be worried by the fact she's closing her eye in bright light? Could it be painful for her?

Their run is currently in direct sunlight (they have a canopy to shelter under and a large branch that throws shade but about 80% of the run is exposed) so I might move their run to the barn...It's light and airy (three sides are only a mesh) but it just takes the edge off the elements. Plus there's a light in there so I can check on her easier when winter sets in.

Thanks again! :D