sadietoo

Swollen comb * Now with photos.... Update

I noticed yesterday (and this morning) that Pansy's comb seems to be swollen. She has not really returned to full form after a big moult this year..and her comb, wattles and face are all a bit pale...but the base of her comb in particular seems to be very puffy... It doesn't look as though she has been pecked by anyone else...indeed she is/was top girl

(although she has been the last out of the cube in the morning for the last couple of days)

She isn't quite her usual feisty self (ie, she let me pick her up without the usual indignant fuss) but she is eating and drinking ok and at the moment she is free ranging with the others.

Any ideas??

Thanks for reading..

Edited by Guest

How long since she moulted?

I ask, because my little Scoot is just recovering from a sudden and massive moult and by sudden I mean that one afternoon I looked in the run and it looked like she had exploded :shock: there were feathers everywhere and poor Scoot looked rather bedraggled. She too had a pale face and puffy comb at the base (which has made it flop to one side). She didn't come out of the roosting area much either (out of embarrasment or because she was chilly :lol: ).

Just about all of her feathers have re-grown but she isn't back to her normal self yet, but she seems to be getting there a little each day. She does seem to chunter alot when it's bedtime though, which she never did before the moult.

From what I have read on here, a heavy moult can really take it out of a hen especially as they get older and re-growth is uncomfortable.

Hopefully all your girl needs is a bit more time (and mine) x.

Henslaved, thanks for your response. Yes it really is quite peculiar, but I am tempted towards the idea that it may have been an infection, since she moulted way back in October and is substantially refeathered...Whatever it is/was definitely put her off colour for a couple of days, but I'm glad to say that yesterday, and this morning, she was the first one out of the Cube as usual and is tucking in to food and water ok...fingers crossed the improvement will continue, but I am monitoring her. Tomorrow is my last day at work and I can observe her better on Thursday, and if necessary take her to the vets before the festivities take hold.

Swollen comb sounds strange - would be interested to see photos if you have any! :)

Sorry for the delay Lewis...I haven't taken her to the vets yet because of Christmas, she still seems to be eating ok...reading more, I wondered about Myco...but there has been absolutely no coughing, sneezing or watery eyes going on and she is eating well and still being quite a busy body...it does look uncomfortable though doesn't it? Any thoughts very welcome...hopefully my Chicken Vet will be back in the practice this week, about to phone to see if I can get an appointment

P1010880.jpg

P1010884.jpg

P1010883.jpg

not at all hot to the touch, and doesn't look infected to me. Eating and drinking absolutely fine, first one out of the cube in the mornings and throwing her weight around like usual. Hopefully my chicken vet will be back in tomorrow, I'll let you know how she gets on.

Back from the vets with Pansy.

It's sinusitis and the prognosis isn't brilliant. However, he has given her an injection of Baytril and an anti-inflammatory today, and we have to go back tomorrow for another injection tomorrow, when I will be shown how to inject her myself so that the course can continue over a period of days. If she gets through the next couple of days then he thinks there is a good chance for a full recovery. Fortunately, no-one has told Pansy how poorly she is who is still eating and drinking well...the vet was surprised at how full her crop is given her temperature. As I type she is in our (unheated) conservatory with her head in a food bowl..

I am of course feeling very guilty that I didn't act on this sooner...but her general "wellness" had me well and truly fooled...not a mistake I will make again. Fingers crossed for the next few days ... :pray::pray:

Don't feel guilty and the fact she is eating is a good sign and hopefully will aid her recovery. When I had my first ex-batts one of those had an infection and my chicken vet is a no nonsense chicken man who said "injecting is best, I'll show you then you can do it" I was slightly panicked but he talked me through it and it really is far easier than trying to get liquid down them and works really quickly.

It does take two of you though, so make sure you have someone to help. My husband held her with his eyes shut :lol:

Ok...second trip to the vets with Pansy for injection number two. As I said yesterday, fortunately no one told Pansy she was poorly and so she stuffed her face all day yesterday and this morning is looking quite a bit perkier..tail right up...announced her presence with an indignant cluck in the vets waiting room. Her temperature today could at least be taken (yesterday it was off the scale and the thermometer only registered "H") another injection of Baytril and back tomorrow morning (no late night partying for me tonight :( ) for another check up and injection. Let's hope the improvement continues...

Third visit to the vets today. Her temperature is down but the swelling is still there and looking as angry as ever.....also she has lost a bit more weight 2.9 kilos this time last year, 2 kilos on Friday, and only 1.9 kilos today. Not sure quite why this should be as she is still eating well. I asked the vet about giving her Tuna or something to supplement her food, but she thought it best to leave her on her current diet. When (if) it stops raining :pray: I'm going to have a look through the compost bin for some worms etc to feed to her....(actually against my principles as a veggie, but will do anything to make her feel better!)....My proper chicken vet isn't in for a few days again, so I'm seeing the duty vet just for the injections. One more appoinment tomorrow then I'm going to do the injections myself to finish her course of antibiotics (this is better as I'm sure she does get a bit stressed on the (thankfully) short journey to the surgery). I'll make an appoinment to see the Chicken Vet when he's back though as he's actually the only one I really trust. She's been in our conservatory (with the Christmas Tree - I think we've had a chicken in the conservatory for one reason or another every Christmas for the last four years!) but I've put her outside today in the (spare) eglu as it's a bit warm today, and I don't want to put her in with the others because they may pick on her, and also having her own room gives her a chance to sleep without being pushed about by the others....my OH is currently in the shed making her a perch...bless him.....

Still giving Pansy Baytril every day, however no reduction in swelling. The day before yesterday she seemed to take a turn for the worse, she was wobbly on her pins, and although I put her back in with the others, she couldn't get up the ladder to the cube, and I had to lift her in. I was surprised to find her still with us in the morning. Yesterday the weather was glorious and so after our visit to the vets I let her free-range all day. She was doing a strange backward stretch of her legs, but went out and about quite happily for a while. She sunbathed and dozed and I prepared myself for the worst as she did not look good at all. However, the minute I went into the garden to check on her she was on her feet and running to me for treats..... I put them back in the run as dusk came with the intention of helping her into the cube again. However, no help was needed as she made it on her own..in and out again this morning! I was back to work today and so I took her to the vets this evening. she was bright and for the first time for a few days spent quite a long time preening herself whilst we waited to go in. The vet agreed that at the moment she does not seem to be distressed at all, and so he has given me another five days worth of antibiotics for me to inject myself ( :shock: )(he let me give the injection today under his supervision) and I got some Avipro whilst I was there too . .... I've also supplemented her diet with some of that suet stuff you can buy for wild birds and which she is loving.......I keep hoping every day the swelling will have reduced..... perhaps tomorrow :pray::pray: