sadietoo

Swollen comb * Now with photos.... Update

How are you and she getting on? :)

Thanks for asking Lewis, but sadly none too well. I have two more doses of Baytril to give her but the swelling on her head has not gone down at all and if anything seems to have got worse in the past day or so. Yesterday she was very sleepy but could still be tempted by food and did manage a bit of a free-range around the garden. TBH I didn't expect her to still be with us this morning. I have googled on other sites and it seems to suggest that the sinuses need flushing (if indeed it is sinisitus), and if it is a cyst of some sort it could be removed. The Vet I saw didn't offer this or seem to think there was anything more that they could do for her. Personally I think it may be cancerous. Today she is hunched and trying to sleep, I did manage to tempt her to some food but she wasn't quite so interested. I fear the worst for her, and will monitor her closely today. I would rather she slipped away than have to stress her out to take her to the vets to have her pts, but I won't let her suffer. Very upset. :cry:

maybe some different antibiotics are needed.? sorry to hear you are not hopeful, best prepared but fingers crossed still x

Unfortunately my vets will only give Baytril as it's the only one they say is licensed for chickens...

I've just given her some cat food :oops: and she has eaten that with gusto.....

Sad news :(

If she is getting no better in herself sometimes its a hard decision to make. Complete the course of Baytril and then see how she is...

Have you tried LifeGuard in her water to give a bit of a boost that way? You can also soak mixed corn in water overnight and give her that - she should eat it and will also hydrate her too.

You should be able to get both an anaerobic and aerobic antibiotic (I can't remember which one baytril is...). When ours have been poorly we have given both as otherwise it may be the other type of bacteria which doesn't respond to that particular type of antibiotic. Worth trying other vets. Really hope she improves.

Uma

Thanks for the comments everyone. We all thought she was at the end of the line this morning, didn't really eat much over the weekend and spent all the time hunched and asleep, and so made an appointment for the vets to have her pts. This pm when I came in from work to take her to her appointment they were freeranging because my DD was in and there was Pansy, tail up, head down foraging in an old plantpot...still with a hugely swollen head though. I took her to the vets anyway and they agreed that she seemed quite bright in herself and it was worth trying something else. She has prescribed metacam to see if it will help with the swelling at all, and so she had a jab there and then and I have two more jabs and two more days of Baytril to give her. I brought her back and she ate a large quantity of mealworms and that suet stuff that you give to wild birds, before I popped her into the Cube "Dove from above" stylee :D I am so pleased her appetite has improved. Encouragingly as well although she hadn't eaten much in the last couple of days her weight was still 2Kg which suggests to me that she had put a bit more on before taking a turn for the worst at the weekend.

Thanks for the tip about the corn Lewis, I will do that tonight, as I think she may well go for that (although they never drink the water with the lifeguard in it!) . I have been letting her eat with everyone else, but I'm going to bring her in for extra food, just to make sure she gets some.

Thanks also Uma and Henslaved for the tip about the antibiotic, I will see if the vet will leave me some Tylan soluble (although she isn't having any trouble breathing). I'm actually wondering if it could be Swollen Head Syndrome, my girl certainly seems to be exhibiting some of the symptoms. Anyone have any experience of that?

Thanks for reading and for your support , as ever you lot are wonderful.x

Further update...

Pansy still with us, but no improvement in the comb situation...I have now consulted a different vet, and he has prescribed Tylan. I have separated her from the others so i don't have to dose them all at the moment, (No one so far showing any symptoms).....

She is enjoying her breakfast of grains soaked in lifeguard, and comes in in the evening for some suet and mealworms (and a few more grains). She is still poorly but in between sleeping is bright in herself...

New vet has taken photos, and made an appointment for a week's time.

I'm willing her to get better, she is such a little sweetie and putting up with all this with very good grace...Keep thinking of us everyone, I'm sure it helps!X

Only very sad news I'm afraid. We'd kept up the corn in lifeguard and I was handfeeding her last night to get her to eat at all. She seemed not to be able to judge distances at all and her head was just as swollen as ever. We had an appointment at the vets tonight but it was clear that the fight was leaving her. I very sadly had to make the decision to put her to sleep. She had fought so hard and for over a month bless her, I was praying she would make it through but in the end it just wasn't kind to keep her going. I am so upset, she was such a little sweetie and I will miss her loads. RIP little one.xxx