stripeybunny Posted December 27, 2011 Share Posted December 27, 2011 Hello, I'm worried that some of my chickens have scaly foot mite. Has anyone successfully treated chickens for this? Any advice on what works/what doesn't work? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 27, 2011 Share Posted December 27, 2011 Check out the FAQ section, loads of info there on scaly leg mites. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
loumabel Posted December 28, 2011 Share Posted December 28, 2011 I have used nettex scaly leg spray and this worked ok, recently I had another outbreak and used Johnsons Scaley leg cream and found this really good and my chickens legs also looked much better afterwards too. I believe you can use sudacrem or vaseline in an emergency if you are waiting to get the proper treatment and this should give your girls some instant relief. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted December 28, 2011 Share Posted December 28, 2011 Sudocreme is good, it actually contains an ingrediant that was used for scaley leg some years ago but which is hard to get hold of nowadays Johnsons mite spray is good Vaseline works but makes the legs very gunky and bedding sticks to it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted January 1, 2012 Share Posted January 1, 2012 I've used Johnsons mite spray but repeat after 3-4 days Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted January 2, 2012 Share Posted January 2, 2012 I find that best too, and I avoid any creams purely because the bedding tends to stick to it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 I've used NetTex Scaly leg spray which worked for me and have heard good things about the Johnsons cream - guess it would be easy to apply and could do it at night then pop them back in the eglu. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Monty14 Posted February 6, 2012 Share Posted February 6, 2012 My Mabel recently had scaly leg and I put vaseline on the leg when first discovered as it smothers the scaly leg mite. Then a couple of days later I bathed the leg in mild dog shampoo and lightly brushed the leg with an old toothbrush, this helps get rid of any crustiness on the scales. I then dried the leg and sprayed with Nettex 'Just for Scaly Leg' and repeated a week later - Mabel's leg is looking a lot better now and she seems much perkier Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted February 20, 2012 Share Posted February 20, 2012 Just noticed this thread. Last year my lavender araucana has scaly leg & the vet prescribed Xeno 200. Sorted the scaly leg after a couple of treatments. But you have to be able to weigh your bird as the xeno as administered via a pump. Also egg withdrawal for whole period of treatment On the plus side you can be sure that your hens are free from all internal & external parasites after treatment. Horridly expensive thou' Have just discovered another hen with scaly leg. This time I'm going to use a brand new product. Barrier Scaly leg ointment. Think we're one of the first to use it so my hens are guinea pigs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...