duchess Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Hi all. I have a problem with rats. And have managed to borrow a Petsban ultrasonic animal chaser. Does anyone know if it's ok to use this near the hens? Will it effect their hearing at all? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Not hear of it, but generally I think ultrasonic things like that work at specific frequencies, so the Foxwatch for example is supposed not to upset cats, dogs or hens. Best bet is to turn it on and see if the hens react. I have to say however that if you have rats, I would strongly recommend getting poison in proper secure baitboxes as the best solution. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
duchess Posted January 5, 2012 Author Share Posted January 5, 2012 Thanks olly I'll see if the hens react to it. We do also have bait boxes down and traps but caught nothing in traps yet. Partner has shot 6 of them but they're still wrecking the joint! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Some info here on dealing with rats. I agree with Olly. Poison in bait boxes is a good remedy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 We had a humane mouse trap a couple years ago, the mouse used to go in a steal food from a broody - we caught a couple but found the only thing that worked was poison. You can get solid blocks of blue gel in bait boxes which are good 'cos they have to go in to get them and then chew it, so can be used (obviously still be careful) near the chickens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted January 7, 2012 Share Posted January 7, 2012 I have 2 bait boxes and o matter where I put them or how long they are left the rats don't won't touch the bait. I might have to get pest control out to mine , though fortunately not as yet near the house or chooks.(very long garden) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted January 7, 2012 Share Posted January 7, 2012 Sorry no real advice from me, but the one rat I did see near my chickens was huge and extremely slow. The only thing I could do was throw a brick at it - I just missed hitting it and it ran off but it never came back and I've never seen one since. ( Mind you, what goes on at night I have no idea) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lindafw Posted January 7, 2012 Share Posted January 7, 2012 both cats and dogs here kill rats I am very fortunate Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
duchess Posted January 7, 2012 Author Share Posted January 7, 2012 Thanks for all your advice folks. So far my other half has shot 7 of the blighters! Had no luck with traps or the bait boxes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted January 7, 2012 Share Posted January 7, 2012 Duchess It can take several days for the rats to get "used to " the bait boxes before they will venture into them. If you leave them in crevices, along lines of walls, guttering, ie places where they will feel safe feeding that will help. Good luck! Oh yes and meant to say handle the bait and boxes with gloves so they don't smell you and keeps you safe from the poison. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 7, 2012 Share Posted January 7, 2012 I have 2 bait boxes and o matter where I put them or how long they are left the rats don't won't touch the bait. I might have to get pest control out to mine , though fortunately not as yet near the house or chooks.(very long garden) Can you put it in the line of where they run so that they go into it? Presuming you haven't already Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 What type of poison are you using. I tried Eradibait but they wont touch it. They have eaten mountains of a bait block. these do worry me a little though as i worry one might run off with an entire block and drop it somewhere a dog might pick it up. I make sure that I wire them into the bait box so that they have to chew them in there until they are smaller. I will buy grain when my supply runs out as it still worries me. I am also trying a new trap and will report back if it catches anything. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 The pest control guy who dealt with my rat problem put the traps in obvious rat runs and baited them with cat food. Rats have a phobia about anything new in their environment, so it usually takes a few days before they will go anywhere near a trap/ bait box - although we caught 3 the day after we put out the traps! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 the bait boxes have been around for months and months now, and right in a "run" of theirs,, They Deffo not worried by my smell the #####s are happy to access my compost bin where I regularly go and handle. Yes CM it is Iradibait. so I need to change to those blocks... and check the garden incase they carry it off. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 (edited) I have successfully used this Neosorexa-Gold which I bought in a 2kg tub from our local horse/chicken feed merchants. About a year ago it was £18 so not cheap,,,but it worked and saved me a £50 call out from the rat man! Edited January 8, 2012 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 £27 for 3kg tub thanks will look into it oh dear harmful to wildlife Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 Umm ... isn't that a bit like putting 'contains nuts' on peanut butter? I mean, surely the point is that it's harmful to wildlife - you distribute it in such a way that the only 'wildlife' that it comes into contact with is the rats/mice you want to destroy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 not really.... I want it to be harmful to rats, not hedgehogs, toads, frogs, and wild birds. But if they do take it from a bait box that will be ok. I did find it in 1kg tubs so at leasrt I can try it. 3 kg of irradibait that they dont eat, IS a pain!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 Neosorexa gold is excellent stuff. I have used it and found it very effective. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 My rats love it! A hit everytime! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 I'll put it in my bait boxes then. thanks all Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 Umm ... isn't that a bit like putting 'contains nuts' on peanut butter? I mean, surely the point is that it's harmful to wildlife - you distribute it in such a way that the only 'wildlife' that it comes into contact with is the rats/mice you want to destroy. My thoughts too, just have to be careful where you put it. We used the same Nesorexa gold in a bait box in the greenhouse as we knew they were in there Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted January 9, 2012 Share Posted January 9, 2012 the bait boxes have been around for months and months now, and right in a "run" of theirs,,They Deffo not worried by my smell the #####s are happy to access my compost bin where I regularly go and handle. Yes CM it is Iradibait. so I need to change to those blocks... and check the garden incase they carry it off. I am disappointed that the Eradibait has been such a failure. Shed loads of the other stuff (Neosorexa) has been taken but the Eradibait has been left completely untouched. The last lot went soggy and mouldy. I have a huge tub of the stuff Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted January 9, 2012 Share Posted January 9, 2012 the bait boxes have been around for months and months now, and right in a "run" of theirs,,They Deffo not worried by my smell the #####s are happy to access my compost bin where I regularly go and handle. Yes CM it is Iradibait. so I need to change to those blocks... and check the garden incase they carry it off. I am disappointed that the Eradibait has been such a failure. Shed loads of the other stuff (Neosorexa) has been taken but the Eradibait has been left completely untouched. The last lot went soggy and mouldy. I have a huge tub of the stuff me too same!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted January 9, 2012 Share Posted January 9, 2012 I've tried Eradibait in the past and have found the same problem. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...