Spinning Top

Daffodils - is it just the bulbs that are poisonous?

When I set our run up I knew there were some daffodil and hyacynth bulbs around the apple tree but as they were quite deep and I wasn't sure exactly where they were, I left them in, kept a beady eye out for new shoots and dug them up as soon as they appeared (Spring is coming :dance::dance: ).

However, I've just been told that the leaves are poisonous too. The chap who told me this has given strange suggestions before and I'm not sure about some of his ideas. I've got some daffs coming up between the run and the fence, so can anyone plese tell me if the girls are at risk from nibbling them when they grow up and flop against the run netting (the daffs, not the girls !)? I'd rather not dig them up if it's not necessary but of course, will if it is. :?

Daffodil leaves contain high levels of oxalic acid, which is poisonous. BUT, the good news is that chickens are clever, and instinctively know not to eat them - as do most animals. My original Omlet girls happily free-ranged in an area with lots of daffs over 5 Springs, with no ill effects, and my new PPs will be doing the same this year.