Hello! We have 4 ex-batts which we have had a week and their run and coop are currently on the concrete slabs as the garden is mush with the snow and wet. So, we have laid easilay and some dust free straw - which is so soft.

My issue is this, I am cleaning the poop away every night and sweeping up the easilay, then storing it and putting it out in the morning. Is there a better way? I don't want my girls to get cold especially as they are only a week out.

Any help would be appreciated! My back would also appreciate it!

Love Tra :D

Hi, welcome to the forum, loads of info on here an everyone really friendly.

Sounds like hard work moving the bedding every night, it would be better to cover the run to make it waterproof, there are lots of threads on here depending on what sort of run you have. I used to use easibed but now have hardwood chippings which is so much eaiser. I poo pick every day and put down stalosan once a week, the chip has been down since September and is fine, I will prob replace for the spring.

Hi,

I'm no expert but I'm sure that you don't need to get rid of the easilay every day - is it some sort of horse bedding - I don't know the name?

I use Hemcore, which is horse bedding (Have used Aubiose as well which is pretty good) in the nest boxes and poop trays in my Eglu Cube & to be honest it only gets cleared out once a week when I do a clean,, as it is very absorbent. I would think it would last a lot longer in your run (weeks) if it is covered from the rain? I also poo pick when I collect eggs.

It's also a good idea to dust some louse powder & red mite powder in the trays & nest boxes - apart from killing the bugs it lets the hens get a bit of de-lousing when they sit in the nest boxes. Prevention is always better than cure - spoken as one who had a red mite problem last year! :evil:

I'm sure that others more knowledgeable than me will advise you but I'm sure that daily clearings won't be necessary and save you both time & money.

Good luck with your girls.

Regards Jenny

I use bliss horse bedding in the coops it's chop/shredded rape seed plant a bi product of the rape oil industry this gets changed about every 3-weeks depending on the coop and time of year and Cushionbed it's a woodchip based horse bedding made from waste wood in the runs this gets left down and changed about 3 times a year

Thanks for your replies!

I was concerned as the Easilay seemed to be getting damp and it's flippin' cold here so I was not wanting their little bodies on dampness.

Thanks for the help! :D Back to the drawing board...

This is such an awesome Forum!! :wink:

Hi, welcome to the forum, loads of info on here an everyone really friendly.

Sounds like hard work moving the bedding every night, it would be better to cover the run to make it waterproof, there are lots of threads on here depending on what sort of run you have. I used to use easibed but now have hardwood chippings which is so much eaiser. I poo pick every day and put down stalosan once a week, the chip has been down since September and is fine, I will prob replace for the spring.

is it on concrete like my run?

I have my run covered in a glass tarp (previously have used a shower curtain...does the same job, just doesn't look so good from the house :D ) and use Aubiose in my run. Along the bottom edges I have some corrugated plastic roofing cut into strips about 8" high and tied on with cable ties. This stops them kicking the bedding out. Underneath my run floor is made up of some old bricks that we had left over that my OH laid in a lovely rectangular pattern (any old how but level!) I have three big girls in there and have just this weekend given them a thorough clean out after (at least :oops: ) 6 weeks (all bedding out....disinfectant down, replace bedding spray for red mites etc). I don't bother to poo pick in the run very often as the Aubiose seems to absorb it. If there is a particularly offensive curry poo near to the run door I do move that...but otherwise it seems fine. I also use Aubiose in the poo trays and nest box but change this every week. The girls are very close to our back door and even in the height of summer we don't have any issues with smells or even (surprisingly) flies. 8)

I have my run covered in a glass tarp (previously have used a shower curtain...does the same job, just doesn't look so good from the house :D ) and use Aubiose in my run. Along the bottom edges I have some corrugated plastic roofing cut into strips about 8" high and tied on with cable ties. This stops them kicking the bedding out. Underneath my run floor is made up of some old bricks that we had left over that my OH laid in a lovely rectangular pattern (any old how but level!) I have three big girls in there and have just this weekend given them a thorough clean out after (at least :oops: ) 6 weeks (all bedding out....disinfectant down, replace bedding spray for red mites etc). I don't bother to poo pick in the run very often as the Aubiose seems to absorb it. If there is a particularly offensive curry poo near to the run door I do move that...but otherwise it seems fine. I also use Aubiose in the poo trays and nest box but change this every week. The girls are very close to our back door and even in the height of summer we don't have any issues with smells or even (surprisingly) flies. 8)

Wow! Thanks for this info! Really helpful! Off to get some covering for them! :D