ChrisP Posted February 8, 2012 Share Posted February 8, 2012 Morning everyone I was just wondering if any of you would be able to give me a quick bit of help with regards to my dissertation. I'm in the process of writing it now, but I've got myself confused with what exactly goes into the discussion part? Am i right in thinking results are just: These are my results. And discussion is: This is what my results show... I always manage to get myself confused, and my tutor isn't the most helpful of people It's really important I write this well and get a good mark in order to get onto my Masters course next year, but I'm struggling with this part, and internet googling seems to be giving conflicting advice so I though I'd check in here and see if any of you can help! Thanks for any replies x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted February 8, 2012 Share Posted February 8, 2012 I usually start with - this is the question I have researched - Background - something about the subject and why its interesting etc - this is the methodology I have used ( and why I selected this methodology over others) - any particular caveats - I set out to interview x but only y was possible because... - then set out the results and your interpretation of the results, structured so it relates to the methodology - finally conclusions and recommendations Don't forget a Glossary, and reference list. You can also use Appendices very usefully to add transcripts of interviews, maps, tables etc that otherwise might over-burden the main section ( which should be tightly focussed). Hope that helps! I feel for you but I'm sure you'll be fine- everyone else will be in the same boat. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted February 8, 2012 Share Posted February 8, 2012 When i did a basic OU course i was taught to set things out the way Patricia has explained. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minnie&Moose Posted February 8, 2012 Share Posted February 8, 2012 (edited) Here's the advice we give undergraduates and taught postgraduates in the university department I work in re the Discussion and Conclusions sections of their thesis/dissertation: "Discussion: This should put your results in context to other literature in the field. Interpret your results in the light of what is already known. What have your results added to the subject area? Assess the strengths and weaknesses of your results. Additionally, when discussing the results of your analysis, you should show evidence of ‘critical thinking’ (about the problem, about underlying assumptions, about opinions and values encountered). This could mean: (1) showing a capacity to evaluate arguments and evidence (e.g. demonstrating an awareness of contrasting positions and judging which is most valid in the light of what you have found out); (2) deciding which data, results, evidence is most and least valid and reliable, and explaining why; (3) showing an awareness of where people and organisations ‘come from’ when they write, speak or otherwise convey information which you are using. Draw conclusions based on understanding the evidence and material gathered. Once you have analysed and discussed your material, you need to go back to your original, main question/problem/issue/hypothesis and answer, or at least, throw some light on it. You should do this in your concluding chapter by drawing on your analysis and discussion of the material you have collected. Do not come to a conclusion that is not supported by what you have found out. Your conclusions might be tentative, and there might be aspects of your main question that you still cannot answer. In this case say how you could have improved your study in the light of your experience. If you encountered problems and the study did not achieve all that you intended, suggest how you would overcome these problems if you had the opportunity to begin again." Good Luck with your dissertation! Edited February 8, 2012 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted February 8, 2012 Share Posted February 8, 2012 Minnie&Moose - that was a really informative and helpful post; thank you from me ChrisP - best of British luck with your dissertation (I'm in the same boat!). Hope you get a good result and can progress onto your Masters. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ChrisP Posted February 15, 2012 Author Share Posted February 15, 2012 Sorry for such a late reply, but thank you so much for your replies. That's really cleared everything up for me and now it makes a lot more sense! Now to get writing...12,000 words to go! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lindafw Posted February 15, 2012 Share Posted February 15, 2012 Thats how I did mine. Results were just..well...results...a factual and informative presentation of what i found. You can use various methods of presentation, verbal and visual. My discussion what what the facts ment...I backed mine up with information from other sources. Who knows if I was right...I got a 2.1 in 1999 as a mature student with 3 children...phew how did I do it?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted February 15, 2012 Share Posted February 15, 2012 Good luck Chris with the 12,000 words to go. I am doing an OU course in Childrens Literature and have just done my fourth assignment, 2,000 words was bad enough. I am glad that your question was answered. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...