bigmommasally

Dog suddenly wetting indoors

My mum visits my house every weekend Saturday and Sunday and brings her 11 year old yorkie with her. She's always been a really good little dog and has never wet indoors before until this weekend, yesterday she wet on my lounge carpet and not just a little bit but a full bladder load - and she'd been out in the garden maybe an hour before hand.

Thought it was maybe a one off But now today we've just been having dinner, dog was in the kitchen having her dinner and when I went out into the kitchen to get dessert she has done another huge puddle in the kitchen and I walked straight through it :roll: Again she had already been out in the garden about an hour ago and had done a poo so its not like she hasn't had the opportunity.

Mum is certain she hasn't been wetting at home so does anyone have any ideas why she's suddenly started to grace my home with her piddle?

One of my cats did this; I sought advice from a forum I trusted (at that time!) only to hear: naughty puss!

End result? My cat had severe crystals on her bladder - it was too late to do anything about it.

Maybe, by posting, you hope to not go the vet route; my experience tells me - go the vet route if you can afford it!

I was only posting on here to see if anyone had had experience of this and what it could be not as a cost cutting exercise to avoid a trip to the vet. It's the weekend I think it would be a bit extreme to go to an emergency vet at the weekend because the dog has wet indoors twice. Of course if it continues when mum get back to her house then she will go to the vet.

We had a lovely Heinz who became incontinent as she grew older. She would pee in her sleep, it takes a lot of love and disinfectant to cope with, she was treated with human incontinence tablets.

Could it just be marking?

If she isn't doing it at home, she could just be settling herself in at your house :)

My old Lhasa used to pee on our bed, if she could get to it, every time I washed the bedding. If we had slept in it before she got to it the she didn't bother :wall:

Our Springer did this briefly, he suddenly decided he didn't like weeing on the paving slabs, so would hold on until we let him in!!!!!!! He is rather cuckoo, but we are over that now, thank goodness.

Just keep an eye on how much your dog is drinking though in case it is more serious.

I was only posting on here to see if anyone had had experience of this and what it could be not as a cost cutting exercise to avoid a trip to the vet. It's the weekend I think it would be a bit extreme to go to an emergency vet at the weekend because the dog has wet indoors twice. Of course if it continues when mum get back to her house then she will go to the vet.

I agree with you there, Something for your mum to keep an eye on (excess drinking etc).

Have you had any other animals in your house or a new person?

Dogs are very sensitive they can pick up on atmosphere changes as well. It doesn't sound like a naughty thing

at all.

It could be a number of things. The age of the dog would get the alarm bells tinkling a little so a trip to the vets may have to be considered. However, if you have had a lot of snow where you are it is not out of the question that she has eaten a large amount that can make them piddle a lot, plus some dogs don't like stooping outdoors in the cold frosty weather as it gets their nether regions rather chilly :lol: I'd see how she is when she's back at home and then pop her along to the vets if it persists :D

Hopefully it will be nothing, as others have said. Our springer hates going outside in the snow but, as she has issues with weeing, I tend to take her out a lot :( She is quite prone to infections and gets very distressed if she has an accident, not because we scold her, we certainly don't but because I think it must sting and she doesn't understand what is happening.

If your mum's dog continues to have this problem, perhaps you could take a sample to the vet to check. Getting the sample is the tricky bit :lol:

If you decide to go to the vet, I'd try to take a wee sample with you if at all possible - the vet is almost bound to ask for one!

I had a diabetic dog some years ago, so became somewhat expert at getting wee samples - the ideal thing I found was either a foil carton (like chinese food comes in) which you can make very flat, or the ultimate was a two litre bottle cut length ways (so you can slide it under her tail, hopefully without her realising) if you cut this right, you will still have the bottle neck on to make pouring said sample into a suitable container a bit easier!!!

Sorry WAY too much information!

Thanks for your responses.

I've just spoken to mum and she said that Bella hasn't wet at all indoors at her house all week, she's been going in the garden completely normally. We really can't think what got into her, as mum had snow at her house too so it can't be that, she's use to going out in my garden she's been coming here every weekend for about 5 years so she's use to the chickens. Just don't know, will have to see what happens this weekend. :)