essexhen Posted February 15, 2012 Share Posted February 15, 2012 I never thought I would resort to this, but the weekend before last we had a Maran hen who had been off colour, (looking depressed, staying still and hiding out in the nesting box all day) she had passed a large lash and we werent sure if she was broody or ill. The saturday night she spent with her head down huddled up in the nesting box and I was seriously thinking about bringing her indoors and trying to make sure she wasnt eggbound and to try and get some food into her. But we also had a good 6 inches of snow that day, live in a very rural location and had a sick baby who had high temps (fevers) so the hen wasn't our highest priority as we were off to out of hours docs/pharmacy both located in different parts of the county. At one point my OH came in and said he was convinced the Maran was on her way out within the next few hours, we've had a couple of hens die before so I was really fearing the worst. As a last resort, i half-filled a (spare) baby medicine syringe with brandy and sent OH back out (I'd read on a hen keeping website that brandy can sometimes do the trick) and low and behold it did, she lived and a day or two later was right as rain Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted February 16, 2012 Share Posted February 16, 2012 Wow! That's amazing!! Hope your baby is well now too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted February 16, 2012 Share Posted February 16, 2012 Wonderul news ,I am glad to hear your girl is ok.(and your baby I hope I will keep the brandy tip in mind. Perhaps a good reason for us all to carry a hip flask along with our poop scoop especcially on a cold morning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 16, 2012 Share Posted February 16, 2012 My uncle regularly revived his ailing budgie with brandy, so it must have powerful restorative properties for birds. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pearls007 Posted February 16, 2012 Share Posted February 16, 2012 If anyone ever wants to revive me, please use gin! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted February 16, 2012 Share Posted February 16, 2012 If anyone ever wants to revive me, please use gin! Thats so funny ,thank you for making me smile Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 Wow...that's amazing! Glad your girl is well now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...