Ain't Nobody Here

Getting out of Uni accommodation contract?

ES lives in Uni accommodation off campus. His room has been damp from the start and has mould growing on the walls. He informed the porters before Christmas who cleaned the mould off but it's grown back over the holidays. A friend's room is similar. The flat is pretty grotty really and quite a few appliances are broken.

They've found (and visited) a private flat and are very keen to move out and potentially stay there till they leave Uni in 2 1/2 years. Problem is, we have a contract with the Uni till the end of this semester. Do we have a case for getting out of it early because the rooms aren't fit for habitation? I don't think a mouldy room is a healthy atmosphere in which to be studying and sleeping :? .

Does anyone have any advice for how I could approach the Uni's accommodation services? Not fit for purpose/health risks etc? Neither boy is asthmatic but can that be triggered by a damp/mouldy environment?

I would think that as a complaint has been made,they have a very good chance,UNLESS they also have to make a complaint in writing...check his contract.

My daughters accommodation is lovely,but the heating doesn't seem to work well, & as she has poor circulation/Raynauds,she has been struggling.

THIS PDF makes interesting reading

If I was you I'd be tempted to get him to write saying the university is in breach of contract by not providing habitable accommodation

Not sure about this - might lead to a long argument about what habitable means ??

Does the Uni web site have anything about what a student can expect from the Uni in terms of accommodation ?

And what the cancellation rules are ??

What are the correct procedures for dealing with issues ???

See eg. http://www2.le.ac.uk/students/studying/getting-accommodation

H

I've spoken to Accommodation Services and the only thing they would do if the room wasn't fit for habitation is relocate him to another room.

I've also spoken to the letting agency and there is a possibility that the landlord might let them rent the flat half price until the end of the Uni semester (during which time he'd be unlikely to let it to anyone else). Fingers crossed :pray: .

Thanks for the advice, everyone :D .

I would have thought if its not fit for purpose and recurring mould/damp that it is not fit for purpose.

You would expect in this day and age accomodation that is clean etc. Its not what you were led to believe? perhaps from a brochure etc. Make sure you take pictures of mould etc too and document all the problems. If they can find a better room and reclocate I would think then you do not have a get out of the contract situation and will have to stick with it.

You would expect in this day and age accomodation that is clean etc.

You would, wouldn't you :? . Especially as we're paying over £300 a month for it (including 2 months of holiday when he wasn't there :roll: ).

I've told the boys to take photos and tell the porter again. However, if they can secure this new flat (which is much cheaper), I think they may well move out early anyway.

Thankfully not but ES is a very keen hillrunner and I wouldn't think the atmosphere will be doing his lungs much good :? .

Fingers crossed for this flat - we should hear from the landlord tomorrow. I'm prepared to pay towards getting it reserved for them as I'd imagine trying to find a decent flat come the end of the Uni year will be quite hard. It's also markedly cheaper than others on the market (I'm hoping because it's 4th floor and has no parking, being in a pedestrian precinct!). The rent costs the same as the Uni flat for one year but he'll be able to live in it for 12 months rather than 8.