Ygerna Posted February 29, 2012 Share Posted February 29, 2012 I've lent my childrens school my incubator. I'd planned on hatching some more chicks this year and thought the school might like to do a project on it. Offered them the incubator and apparently some of the teachers were fighting over who got it The eggs arrived today. The incubator was set up yesterday so will set them tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted February 29, 2012 Share Posted February 29, 2012 How exciting, the children will love it, my DD still talks about the chicks in her class when she was at primary school and she has girls of her own now. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clunie Posted March 1, 2012 Share Posted March 1, 2012 Well done Ygerna for lending the school your incubator. Last year was my first year of hatching with an incubator and for the 3rd lot of eggs (This time crosses from my own cockerel) I loaned the incubator to the school. The children loved it (a wee village school of 40 pupilsish). Typically the first ones hatched overnight but the kids were delighted to see them in the morning and I think that they saw one as it hatched over lunchtime. I'm sure that your school children will love watching them hatch. Good Luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ygerna Posted March 4, 2012 Author Share Posted March 4, 2012 Some of the children in the class where it is set up, spoke to my DD and asked her to thank me for letting them have it. So sweet. The class have also put some books near it about chickens and chicks so the children can read about them. They are also coming up with names for the as yet unhatched chicks. They have been made aware that not all eggs become chicks and that not all chicks make it. Sad, but, honest truth. Fingers crossed they'll at least get one or two. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted March 4, 2012 Share Posted March 4, 2012 How many eggs have they got in the incy? Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ygerna Posted March 12, 2012 Author Share Posted March 12, 2012 Just 6 eggs, Chrissy, didn't want to overrun the school with chicks or end up with more than I can keep here. As a further development though. I went in to check on the set up this morning, and some of the children, in their own time, have made a paper chick, about a foot high, on which they have written all sorts of facts about chickens. I'm so pleased that what I hoped would be educational is at least making some of them think about it all. Its day 12 today, so, not long now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bevmatt Posted March 13, 2012 Share Posted March 13, 2012 I have done this now for the past 3 years and I cannot tell you the joy i get everytime I go to pick up and drop off - you hear the reception children talking about how many days until hatching. I set up lots of eggs at home on the same day and then I am not so worried if something goes wrong at the school - (ie cleaner switching off the plug etc....) Then I pop in a couple of days before hatching fill up the reservoir and then on the days due to hatch if I don't think they are going to hatch I will pop back in the morning break whilst the children aren't in the room and swap for some recently hatched chicks from home! I do this only because I could not bear the thought that the little reception children would be upset if every egg did not hatch. I get a little thankyou note every year and I keep them in my keepsake box - i know its sad but it will stay with the children all their life and worth every bit of effort I put in. Let me tell you as well - when the children pop back in after morning break and the chicks are there - you should see how quickly the classroom fills up - not just with the reception children but the entire infants - better than a fire alarm drill - instant crowds!!! As an extra treat this year as well (this is all strategically timed with Easter) we are putting an Eglu Classic in the infants playground with 2 chickens in there! Not sure who is more excited - me or the teachers- can't wait to see the childrens faces! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ygerna Posted March 14, 2012 Author Share Posted March 14, 2012 Wow, Bevmatt, thats a terrific thing to do. Not sure I could cope with more chicks though. I was in the class room this morning, topping up water (the teacher isn't confident enough to do the day to day stuff) and there was a year 4 pupil in there, she was talking to me about the eggs and we discussed the fact that some may not hatch, so I know they have been made aware of that. This time next week... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 20, 2012 Share Posted March 20, 2012 What breed are they hatching? Great thing to do Bev Good luck with the ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ygerna Posted March 23, 2012 Author Share Posted March 23, 2012 3 chicks have hatched! The children were so excited about it; It was amazing. They got to watch one hatch, via the class 'visualiser'. Have been in this morning and all three chicks are doing well, pecking at food, chirping and exploring their cage. I'm going to bring them home this afternoon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 23, 2012 Share Posted March 23, 2012 Congrats! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted March 24, 2012 Share Posted March 24, 2012 3 chicks have hatched! The children were so excited about it; It was amazing. They got to watch one hatch, via the class 'visualiser'. Have been in this morning and all three chicks are doing well, pecking at food, chirping and exploring their cage. I'm going to bring them home this afternoon. That is great news, what a wonderful experience for the children Will you return the chicks after the weekend so the children can see them grow? Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted March 25, 2012 Share Posted March 25, 2012 Can you hire incubators? just wondered as if my son who is determined he wants to hatch some eggs keeps on I might look into it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scubababe Posted March 25, 2012 Share Posted March 25, 2012 Aww what a lovely post. I would love to hatch my own but I think it will be a few years before I do. Knowing my luck I'll get all cockerels!! Would love to help the school with a project like that. My eldest starts school in September so maybe next year...see I've already knocked time off!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted March 25, 2012 Share Posted March 25, 2012 Can you hire incubators? just wondered as if my son who is determined he wants to hatch some eggs keeps on I might look into it? There arent many places that hire them - this place does though:http://www.hookfarm.net/incubator-hire/ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...