lilacsunflower

bedtime for chickens

my chickens have stopped putting themselves to bed since the clocks went forward, they seem to want to roost on to of the coop and get cross when I move them and put them on their usual perches in coop. sometimes one or two will go to bed as usual but the others still sit on top even in the rain! any suggestions how I can persuade them to go to bed on their own again? had them since October as point lay and they are all laying now and fee range in then orchard during the day

Two of mine persist in roosting on top of the Eglu, it's very annoying because it makes cleaning much more work! I have not been able to persuade them inside. As long as your coop is in a secure run, it won't do them any harm. Otherwise, all I can suggest is bundling them in and closing the door, they will settle down but it's had no effect on mine long term, they still choose to roost outside if they can.

All three of mine have wanted to sleep outside since the day I got them. Last year I persisted in 'putting them to bed' every night, but as the nights drew in I decided to leave them to it and they have been fine. One recently hurt her leg and so was made to sleep inside whilst recuperating and since then has decided that it's quite cosy! But the other two are still outside. I may decide when the mornings get really early to put them to bed again, just for noise reasons, but they have enjoyed their al fresco lifestyle! :D