Chicken shack Posted April 16, 2012 Share Posted April 16, 2012 This is a bit long but stay with it please Now I have only been keeping chickens since August 2010 however I thought I had them under my thumb. They have a with 3 mtre run plus 4mtre by 4mtre WIR that I know is not that secure. I let them out to FR when I am out in the garden which is most days and they follow me around like sheep getting under my feet and if they do wonder off I just call them and they come running and with treats are easy to get back into their WIR. Or so I thought Although they are quite tame and I can pick some up with ease Harvey is a different story. I have had him since Oct and only once have I been able to pick him up. He has very feathery legs and I have always suspected him of having scaley legs despite me treating him for this when I first got him. The girls are fine. I bought a fishing landing net from Aldi last week and thought I would catch him with it and give him a thorough look over. After a realxing afternoon in the garden with them I got them back into their WIR and took the net in with me and shut the door. Well all hell let loose and they were really freeked out and Harvey managed to escape the WIR. I managed to get him back in as the girls were alarmed and he wanted to protect them. I thought I would leave the fishing net in there so they would get used to it however I noticed after dinner that they were hudled at the opposite end and would not go in to roost terrified of the net. I went in to remove it and pandamonium they all went crazy and half managed to escape. they would not come when called or respond to treats of any kind. I eventually got all but one back . Eventually Mr Chicken shack with the aid of a fence panel and myself managed to catch her. Now what do I do. I am terrified of letting them out now how would you deal with this I was so smug and felt like the chicken whisperer. Will they ever trust me again. I have never had to or wanted to chase them. I also wanted to run begginers courses but my confidence and pride have been dented. Advice please as I had no control over them what so ever Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted April 16, 2012 Share Posted April 16, 2012 Sorry but Mine freak out over black seed trays I would just keep the net away from them, let them calm down. Also, spend some time in the WIR with them, picking them up, talking to them, give them treats. They'll soon be okay. I hope Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mollyripkim Posted April 16, 2012 Share Posted April 16, 2012 Don't worry, mine occasionally freak out at something, the latest being a broom which I was trying to use to hook an egg from the back of th run (long story, little Ivy lays wherever she happens to be). They were flapping around in a right panic, yet don't take any notice when I sweep usually but soon settled down again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted April 17, 2012 Author Share Posted April 17, 2012 Despite being skint I have ordered 3kg of dried meal worms today. I was completly out after yesterday fiasco. I am not letting them out of the WIR today, it is raining anyway. I will try and win them over with meal worms when they arrive. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted April 17, 2012 Share Posted April 17, 2012 Just don't take the net near and they'll be fine, it wasn't you they were scared of. You'll be building a rod for your back if you bribe them too much My lot freaked out at the weekend and huddled at the other side of the run, I realised I was wearing a skirt and they were fine when I changed. Not sure if it was flappy material or my legs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted April 17, 2012 Share Posted April 17, 2012 This did make me laugh sorry. Chickens are the oddest things. Mine once completely freaked out at a pile of damp sand in the garden that was to be used for some paving. I have no idea what they thought was under it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted April 17, 2012 Share Posted April 17, 2012 Sorry too but that is hilarious . Mine freaked out at a tyre I put in their run as a lovely dustbath . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennyp Posted April 18, 2012 Share Posted April 18, 2012 Mine get freaked out when they see the lawnmower - I think it's the colour orange they hate. It's not the noise of it, they freaked the first time they saw it, before I'd even got it fully out of the shed. Is your net bright orange? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken shack Posted April 18, 2012 Author Share Posted April 18, 2012 They have settled down but I still need to get hold of Harvey to check his legs and waiting till they roost is not really an option as I can't see a thing in the dark. I also want to treat them all for lice etc. I am just going to have to sit in the WIR with them and hope that I can grab one now and again untill I have checked them all over. The funny thing is I can drive past them in the old tractor mower and they are not bothered. I wish I had an Ometeer living close by that could assist. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted April 18, 2012 Share Posted April 18, 2012 Wot about making a herding pen in a corner of the run and herd them in one by one then you only have a small bit to catch them in. I use a bit of old run panel and prop it up and get on my hands and knees, could catch my little wyandottes when they were at their craziest that way. They look panic stricken when cornered but soon calm down when picked up Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...