Surfnirvana

Bald Bums - Pecking Problem - tried everything!

Any other ideas please!

I have 4 hens (Bess, Mary, Ivy & Polly) and up until a few months ago they were all fine. We went away on holiday for a week (we had someone else looking after them & house sitting), and came back and noticed 3 of them had bald bums :shock:! So, by my deductions it was the 4th hen - Bess who was the cuprit. These are the things I have tried to stop her doing it:-

1. Hanging greens and pecker blockers up in their pen (which they have always had).

2. Letting them free range as much as possible, when we get back from work & weekends.

3. Feeding them only Layers Pellets - no corn or treats apart from "bribing" mealworms.

4. Spraying the "baldies" with Anti-pecking spray (worked for a bit, but not any more)

5. Spraying the "baldies" with Violet genetian purple spray (again worked for a while)

6. Put a bumper bit on Bess's beak - She has had it on for 3 weeks. Mary's feathers started to recover but not the other two - which led me to the conclusion that she (Mary) is also a pecker of the other two (Ivy & Polly)!

7. I therefore ordered another bumper bit and will fit that to Mary BUT Bess's beak started to look very flakey and unhealthy, so had to remove it yesterday (the bumper bit not the beak!). Over night she has picked out Mary's newly grown feathers have disappeard! ARghh. :wall:

In the meantime I am now rubbing sudocrem on the baldies bums as they seemed to be getting rather red.

I don't really want to separate Bess or Mary from the other two, so if there is anything else I could try, please let me know. Thanks so much :)

Thanks so much for your replys. I now have 4 bits to fit - hopefully that will work. I'll keep you posted! :0)

We have been suffering from the same sorts of problems, one chicken has a skinhead and the other looks pretty oven ready, we told we could fix things by introducing new chickens, so went out and bought two more. Now we have five unhappy chickens, so have purchased chicken beak clips and fitted them last night. Our oldest chicken 'Sandwich' was very unhappy about this but this morning, is carrying like she always worn it. Looking forward to everyone growing some feathers and laying eggs.