The Mcconnochies

What mite they be?

Hey all - I've spotted some mites on the outside of our wooden coup...the don't look like the red mites that I've seen photos of on the internet but they are definitely there and have been for a day or so. Any ideas of what they might/mite be?

I've dusted the girls and the inside of the coop...nothing on either as far as I can see. Any hints or tips?

Andrew

There are some wee things that hang about in our garden - crawling on the water butts and even the cub. They don't seem to be detrimental to the chooks and I never find them inside the housing (which is powdered with Buz Busters) so I'm not too bothered by them. Perhaps they are the same things.

We had bird mites last year, the house was crawling the girls were crawling and I would end up covered in them. I poulrty sheilded the house inside and out and a gave a good dose of diatom. This seemed to get rid of them, I scratched for days.

We had bird mites last year, the house was crawling the girls were crawling and I would end up covered in them. I poulrty sheilded the house inside and out and a gave a good dose of diatom. This seemed to get rid of them, I scratched for days.

If you're talking about Northern Fowl Mites, then they will happily crawl on and bite humans, as will red mites :evil: Regular spraying and powdering of the coop, coupled with a preventative routine on your birds ought to keep them away.