Chortle Chook

Are ducks hardier than chickens?

I've noticed that there are a lot fewer constant contributers to the duck part of the Omlet forum than the chicken part. Is it because ducks are hardier - so have fewer problems to ask about, or is it because there is just not the same popularity around backyard duck keeping as chicken keeping because they are more difficult to keep?

(Or is it just that duck owners are more pragmatic than chicken owners and chat about / indulge their critters less?)

You could be right. But i wonder what proportion of people are on here have chickens compared to ducks? I would

love to have ducks, and am sure i would be adding my questions on here if i had them. But from my research they

are harder to keep, most need water, they are muckier and i think not as convenient to keep. I know i have

searched for a nice duck house ( I would like indian runners ) and i would need a sufficient run attached to the

house to keep them in when i didn't want them running round. I cannot find one i like...

Ducks are hardier than chickens, I keep both! I worm them when I worm the chickens as they all eat the same food. They don't appeer to get lice and mites however I do treet their !gogreen! in the same way I treet the chickens (cube green) . The eggs are more regular, 1 a day of each without fail from March and they are very tasty. They will go off lay in the winter. :D