LisaP

Got 2 Cayuga ducks yesterday

Just posted in the chicken forum that we went to the Royal Welsh Spring Festival yesterday and came home with 4 new chickens and 2 Cayuga ducks :D

We've got a male and a female and they are beautiful and are quacking away quite happily and are currently in a stable with the 4 new chickens.

We have wanted to get ducks for quite a while and now that we're lucky enough to have our smallholding we felt ready to start with 2 of them although I will be basically learning as I go, just as I did with our original chickens :wink:

We were told that it is fine to feed them the same layers pellets that we give the chickens but if anyone has any advice on what else if anything, to feed them or indeed how to get them to go to bed at night, all advice will be greatly appeciated :wink:

Lisa P

Ducks arent the best for going to bed at night, they need to be herded in usually

I keep mine in a fox proof pen and they have a covered cat litter tray for shelter. they rarely use it though

layers pellets are fine, they dont really need waterfowl food. Dont use mash though as it can clog their nostrils

Ducks are very forgiving - more so than chickens so you should be fine :D

Thanks Redwing, they are still happily settled in the stable, eating loads of pellets and they have a large underbed storage tray filled with water for paddling - haven't seen them use it yet but know that they have because it gets filthy.

The new chickens have moved out of the stable into the eglu, adjacent to the cube with our other girls and at the weekend we are hoping to set up a secure run in our bottom field and move all the chickens and the 2 ducks out to there and then gradually integrate them.

Lisa P

Oh yes, will do but I have to wait for DD (my tech asst :wink: ) to come back from Uni this weekend. Not only do I need her to put the photos on here but the ducks are also a surprise birthday pressie for her. She's only back for a week, for revision, just hope the ducks don't distract her too much :anxious:

In the meantime I am really enjoying them, they are such funny characters and Mr drake is so protective of Mrs, it's so sweet and they have a lovely soft little quack 8)

Lisa P

They sound so delightful!

I'm getting two little call ducks on Sunday (my first ducks) and am very excited :dance: but I have a funny fealing that it will be the same as with my hens in that I'll have dear little banties and will love them to bits, but will still hanker after some biggies. (OH won't allow me biggies :roll: )

DD got home last night and she was very very happy with her surprise :D

Don't think she could quite believe it at first but they were immediately posted on Facebook and they now have names - Batman and Robyn(female spelling of course) :lol:

Photos will soon be posted on here :wink:

Lisa P

This is Lorna (Lisa's favourite daughter in the whole world :wink:) and yes, they've got such a lovely greenish tinge in real life. I can't wait to get them out into the field and see how they look in the sun.

We haven't seen them in the water but it keeps getting muddy and when we went out to see them earlier they were slightly soggy and seemed a bit upset that we'd interrupted them :lol:

I love them so much! I've been going on at Mum and Dad to get some forever and I still can't quite believe I actually have some. Now I just need to find a way to get them back to uni without anybody noticing...

We've got duck eggs :D Robyn has laid 3 lovely soft green coloured eggs over the weekend 8) hard to explain but they have a completely different feel to them from the chickens eggs, very smooth almost silky.

Chubby Chook did you get your new ducks? Your little ducks house looks lovely by the way :D

Lisa P