karencopas

Do ducks need to be vaccinated?

Hi everyone,

We are keeping six ducklings we hatched (hatch)at the nursery where I work, (duck) are there vaccinations for ducks ours should have? Also should I worm them? And as I'm asking when will they be ok to sleep outside in the eglu cube? At the moment they are in an insulated wooden tool shed(attached to an insulated wooden cabin)with the brooder on and lots of hay to snuggle in.

One last thing-so many questions-hope you don't mind! We are buying an omlet WIR with cube (cube green) for them are they really fox proof? The eldest ducklings are four weeks tomorrow and I can't bear the thought of any harm coming to them and also the children really love them and I don't want them to know the heartache of losing them :(

Thank you so much for any advie :)

Hi ducks dont need vaccinating and you can worm them using flubenvet the same as chickens but some people dont bother they should be good to go outside by 6 weeks and i dont know anything about cubes my ducks all have wooden houses some dog kennels with runs they also dont go to bed at night like chickens they need herding and then shutting in otherwise they will just sleep out im not convinced anything is foxproof thats why all mine get locked up at night leanne :)

Ducks would be fine in a cube BUT the cube would need to be at ground level (ie no wheel unit) and have the roosting bars removed. they do 'do' ladders or ramps and definitely not roosting bars

If you only want ducks then I would choose a more suitable house. if you want a mix of ducks and chickens I would use the cube for chickens and place something underneath on the ground for the ducks to lay in and let them just sleep in the run

99% of pet ducks are not vaccinated

As Redwing says, ducks don't seem able to lift their legs up the way chickens do. They can just about manage a low angled ramp (mine have one to get up into their tin bath) but they certainly can't manage steps. This is why your Cube would need to be placed directly on the ground. It would, also not be a good idea to have them sleeping in the same quarters as your chickens. However a cube with roosting bars removed and put directly on the ground, with no chickens in there, would be fine.