dislaney

Abscess on beak - any tips?

Just wondered if anyone had any tips for dealing with an enormous abscess on the beak of one of my new girls Louise, the Brown Leghorn, please? The vet prescribed Baytril and Metacam a fortnight ago, and while she seemed to get better for a while, she hasn't eaten properly for at least a week, and the swelling seemed to come back under the original abscess. I've now got her back on the Baytril amd Metacam, and she does seem a bit livelier - taking her to the vet tonight to see what they recommend next.

It's just so horrid - a huge scabby weeping mass on the outside, and yellow gunky stuff inside her beak which is obviously hurting as she keeps shutting her eyes when trying to eat. Very smelly too! The only thing she will take readily is soft white bread, which is what I've been putting the medication on.

All advice very gratefully received - I've got her separated in the little Eglu so the other girls can't pick on her and make matters any worse!

Thanks Dogmother - been struggling to get the vets to take it seriously, to be honest. Let's hope when they see her again tonight they take some vigorous action. Only had her 3 weeks so not sure when she got the injury, but she's had a tough time as my other girls have shunned and bullied her from the start. :(

It's in a difficult area too - too near her brain fro my liking and not an area that you could easily bind an Animalintex poultice onto to draw it out.

It's hard to say without seeing it but I'd suggest that it probably needs draining, irrigating and she needs some injected antibs. Could you perhaps find a more chicken-savvy vet in your area? There are some recommended vets in the FAQ section and I know of a good one here in north Oxfordshire, but that's not at all near you.

I agree. One of my original girls had a similar problem - a huge abscess under her beak - and it had to be drained, packed with an antibiotic , and two courses of antibiotics given, before it was cured.

I hope you can persuade your vet to take it seriously.

Quick update - Louise has had an operation this morning to remove the necrotic mass; they say it's touch and go but have packed the wound with antibiotic. We've agreed that if she can eat a little by the end of the day we'll persevere - if not, it will be kinder to put her to sleep as the abscess has eroded part of her beak away. :(

I know. The (unsympathetic) vet last night gave her a 10% chance. Not sure if I've done the right thing in putting her through the op but felt I had to give it a go, as she's been fighting very hard to beat it and trying her best to eat despite the pain. The (more sympathetic) vet this morning said she wasn't actually too thin so in good enough shape to risk the anaesthetic. Going to call shortly to see how she's doing ...

Crikey - just had quite a positive update! Louise is up and wandering around a dog kennel, has had a drink and is nibbling on some grass! Everyone at the vet centre quite shocked, as am I. :D

Bad news is that she has a big hole under her beak that will obviously need some very careful management. Going to call in a couple of hours to see when she can come home, and what I need to do next ... where would I get Arnica pillules from??

Get the 30c ones from Boots; they are invaluable for healing and tissue damage.

Depending on where the wound is, you may be able to fix up some sort of bonnet-type dressing out of vet wrap until it has healed enough to be left bare.

I am sure that forum users would welcome some photos for future reference :)

Come on Louise!

Morning all! Update on Louise - she's doing really well. :D

Brought her home from the vets yesterday evening, where she'd already eaten and drank a little and generally perked up. They all seemed to be amazed by her, but gave me a reality check by saying that if she didn't eat at home then today they might have to consider putting her to sleep. Big hole under her beak, but nicely disguised at the moment by blue spray. Once home and tucked away in an outbuilding, she was quite perky and promptly demolished half a slice of bread, some seeds, a strawberry, spring greens and mealworms! This morning she's very, very lively and itching to escape her enclosure, again having wolfed down the same motley assortment of goodies.

Not counting chickens (ha!) but feeling much more optimistic than this time yesterday - thanks so much for your positive comments and support. I passed on the rallying cries to Louise and she obviously paid attention! Will keep you posted - back to the vet late this afternoon for a check up and some more meds ...

Hi all - just to let you know that Louise is still doing well! Now on Synulox as well as Metacam, to try to blast any residual infection out of her system. About to be moved out of her 'special needs' accommodation back into the main pen, but inside a new run attached to the Eglu Classic, while the other girls get the main run and their Eglu Cube. She's eating and drinking well, and seems to be quite liking the extra attention despite her confinement. :D

Time for a little Louise update ... she's now been renamed 'Calamity Chicken'! The abscess is still healing well, all that's left is a smallish dark scab to one side and under her beak. She can eat and drink just fine, although her beak is now permanently deformed in a Gilette 'crossed swords' fashion. :)

Why Calamity Chicken? Well, last week I thought she was doing so well, she could come out of her convalescent wing (green eglu) and mingle with the other girls in the main run (cube green) . Louise came out of the (green eglu) run, all the others rushed in, she then panicked, flew up in the air onto the (cube green) and ripped her toenail off in the process. Blood everywhere! Fortunately the others were too preoccupied with the (green eglu) to notice the red stuff, so with a bit of fancy footwork and some mealworms, managed to get them out of the (green eglu) and Louise back in. Phew!

Now resolved not to let her out again for another week or so, till the scab is all healed up properly and she shows signs of getting a toenail back. Meanwhile, the little sweetheart has started laying beautiful white eggs !eggwhite! which we can't eat yet owing to the antibiotics she's been on - but a celebratory omelette might be due on 1st August. :D

Bad news folks - the abscess is back. :( And our lovely vet who is really good with Louise is off sick. :(:(

Vet I saw this morning said there was a limit now to what could be done for her - they didn't want to clean off/up the enlarged scab for fear of damaging the beak further, and have put her back on Metacam and Baytril for a week to see if she picks up again. When they review her in a week's time, then a decision has to be made on quality of life ... hopefully our nice vet will be back at work by then.

Have to say I'm feeling gutted - Louise is such a feisty little soul, and is very sweet with me, always coming close for cuddles and quite liking all the attention of being picked up, ferried to the vet, medicated etc. Will keep you posted.

P.S. Baytril - one vet says never eat the eggs after dosing, another says they can be eaten after 28 days, although not in commercial laying birds. Any views? Not that I'm worried about this for Louise, obviously - eggs are the least of our problems!