dislaney

Abscess on beak - any tips?

Thanks for the Hibiscrub ratio, Dogmother - applied it tonight so let's see how she does tomorrow.

Had come to the Option 1 result myself this evening, Tweety - having spent the majority of tonight in the field in the rain trying to coax our new rescue goat into one of the shelters with the others, who were having none of it! Decided that I might end up in an early grave if I'm having to chase/catch/medicate naughty hens in the field in winter too - much better to have them closer to hand, and in my eyeline, in the garden. And as you say, less disruptive all round for my existing ladies. Visions of them riding goats floated past my eyes at one point ...

Perhaps next year for more free range hen adventures, when I've recovered from the stresses and strains of this year's events! One of our other rescue pygmy goats might be pregnant, so am holding my breath on that for the time being :)

Hi everyone - just reporting in to let you know how Louise is doing. She's still with us, but oh my word - what an emotional rollercoaster! Just when things were looking up, and her last really big scab dropped off, she decided to give up eating as it hurt her too much. Ironically the scab had been enabling her to eat reasonably normally, and as soon as the still raw wound was exposed, she went on strike.

Much coaxing with soft bread and shredded grapes has therefore ensued - not the most balanced diet, but it was a choice of that or watching her fade away. I also popped big Cuckoo Maran Kelly in the isolation wing with her, to see if it would perk up her spirits as Louise was clearly depressed. Had my fingers tightly crossed that she wouldn't get bullied again, but Kelly has been really good with her, and a bit of competition for the grapes and bread has been beneficial in encouraging Louise to eat. Kelly has now decided to moult in a hurry, so they look a great pair of misfits in there together!

Louise's wound now looks the best it's ever been - just a teeny tiny bit of infection left at the corner of her mouth, nothing down her throat or what's left of her beak. The vet visited last Friday and said just to carry on doing what we've been doing - Baytril and bathing every evening to keep it clean, because if the lower part of her beak goes bad then that's it.

So apologies for the long silence - have felt very weary and low at some points in all of this, particularly when it's looked like PTS was going to be the best option, but have felt very encouraged by your support, and also by Louise's miraculous ability to keep coming back from the brink. As a cat, she'd definitely be on her last life ... :D

No I haven't - but that's a great idea! Thank you. :)

Been squirting Nutridrops down her for the past couple of nights, to wash away the taste of Baytril, and she seems to really enjoy that. Another bit of scab came away tonight (much smaller this time) and what's underneath is pink and clean and healthy. Just hope that we can get it to be a bit less sore, so she can eat better ... Will try the Manuka and report back!

Sadly she'll always have a massive hole on the left side of her beak, as the vet had to remove the portion from her cheek to half way down the beak itself to cut out the abscess. The poultry equivalent of cleft palate, I guess. The front portion of the beak appears to be firmly anchored by the skin and tissue underneath though, so she can still peck and grab, although because the beak is now twisted and deformed, it's a far less accurate instrument than it was before. That's why it's important to keep the front of the beak free from harm, because she wouldn't be able to survive without it. I've been dying to try to pick out some gunk residue that's dried in the front of the beak and built up on one side, but I can't do it in case I cause any more damage, or hurt her.

Drinking will always be a challenge because the side of her beak is permanently open, so the full immersion route is the only way to go - big dunks and head right back mean that she gets the majority of water down her throat, although her 'bib' is always soaked as a result! Hence the special needs status, and the necessity of having a very kind companion. Have been very relieved that Kelly isn't too dominant with her, although she gets impatient when Louise can't get a big piece of bread or grape down into her crop and 'helps out' by pinching it off her! :D

I'd wondered about prosthetics myself, but didn't think it was appropriate to ask! On a bit of a downward spiral again I'm afraid :( Not sure if it's the colder, wet weather but Louise has been very miserable the past few days, needing a lot of encouragement to eat and struggling to get food into her beak. Was a bit horrified to find a big yellowy/white patch inside the front of her mouth this morning but then realised it didn't smell and was actually a very stuck bit of bread! Think my nerves are shot to pieces ...

Charlotte the nice vet is going to visit tomorrow and take a view on whether Louise's quality of life is now so diminished it would be kinder to PTS. I do hope not, but can't stand to see her struggling all the time - albeit with great vigour and determination. Meanwhile I'm adding dog Metcam to her evening cocktail of Baytril and Nutridrops to see if some pain relief makes a difference to her appetite.

Will let you know how we get on - thanks for sticking with the saga! :anxious:

Hello again crazy peeps on the forum!

So - Charlotte the vet came yesterday, and Louise was having a good day, having miraculously rallied from the depths on Friday. :D Still struggling to eat, but much more lively, and enjoying the sunshiny day after the rain. The vet thought it was worth persevering for a little longer, given that we've come so far - she thought that the Metacam would be helping with the pain so we're continuing with that, and she's gone away to talk to colleagues about some kind of wound patch (rather than a prosthetic attachment) that might help Louise to eat without too much discomfort. Louise hasn't lost too much weight, which is amazing given how little she's eaten in comparison to thunderbird Kelly, her roomie.

The vet was concerned about the underneath of the beak though, as it looks as though there's some damage under there now. She said that if the beak goes soft then it really is time to say goodbye. So we're sticking with the nighttime cocktail regime for now, and see how it goes for the next couple of days. Today because it's colder and greyer again, Louise has been reluctant to leave her bed and seems a bit more subdued, but she has been pecking away at the tuck box of morning goodies, which can't be a bad thing.

Will let you know how we do over the next 48 hours, and also what suggestions come back about wound patching ...

:D

Just to say that Louise has had an early evening fix of Baytril/Nutridrops/Metacam/Hibiscrub and Manuka as my husband (who holds her tightly while all this is going on) is away for the night. She'd perked up considerably after about 30 mins, so after a little flash of inspiration I did her some scrambled egg with poultry spice - which she LOVED! :dance:

Fingers crossed for the morning.

Very sad news I'm afraid, folks - Louise had to be put to sleep today. :(

It followed a fortnight of ups and downs, where she was eating well and had actually put on weight, but the beak continued to deteriorate every time the scab fell off. I'd arranged for my dentist to get involved in proceedings, following your advice about prosthetics - he's such a nice man, and was very happy to help with the mercy mission, in tandem with our vet. His dental technician came out to the vet surgery this lunchtime today, to take an impression of the beak to build a mould, but when Charlotte the vet excavated the beak from under the scab debris, there was very little left to attach a prosthesis to, and what was left was soft. As Louise was already under the ether, it was the kindest thing to do to put her to sleep.

Thanks all for your help, support and advice over the past many weeks - it's meant an awful lot.