balti Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 Ive just lost 'smurf' my blue silkie to the "Ooops, word censored!" fox. - I saw him through the window with her in his mouth.... I guess i have been lucky - had chickens for 5 or 6 years now and never had a fox take one... I feel gutted and really upset. - my silkes were new on the bloke. Now Mr Fox knows where they are they are going to have to stay in until my WIR is made - Feel so angry - and stupid for allowing them to free range all this time, should have known at some point he would end up coming. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
migsy Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 Poor you. No-one can predict a fox coming. You were letting them have freedom and enjoyment. I hope you feel better soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 Sorry to hear that . It happened to me a few weeks ago but thankfully I scared it off before any of my girls were hurt. Don't blame yourself, it's so easily done. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 Sorry to hear about Smurf. At least Smurf had all that time of free ranging which is more can be said for the battery hens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
balti Posted June 26, 2012 Author Share Posted June 26, 2012 I obviously can't swear as I get censored. thanks for all your words. Never had to keep chickens in before, always liked the thought of free ranging. The thought of them stuck in their Run just doesn't appeal to me. I don't just want them for eggs, I enjoy them more mooching about etc. Had to peg rabbit hutch run down tonight as I know he will come back. The dogs are out there now in the part of Garden they are all in, barking. I bet mr fox isn't far. Thanks again x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted June 26, 2012 Share Posted June 26, 2012 Really sorry to hear that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 27, 2012 Share Posted June 27, 2012 I obviously can't swear as I get censored. thanks for all your words. There is a built in word censor which kicks in automatically when particular words are used. Sorry you have been foxed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
balti Posted June 27, 2012 Author Share Posted June 27, 2012 I stayed up till 2 this morning , in and out, and in and out.......watching..... he was back plus another.... I live on the outskirts of a farm.... you would think foxes all over the place, but been in this place 3 years and never seen one in the garden. I have been letting the chickens free range all day and they take themselves off to bed when its time.. Seems strange that i have now got 2 - one that stayed in the main garden and another ( has to be the murderer ) coming into my fenced off area where chickens are. ( corner of garden ). He came in 3 times in 2 hours and thats just what i saw... Other fella spend 2 hours on and off in main garden. I could also hear foxes screaming in the fields. All i can think is that a load of foxes have been taken out of London and dumped near sevenoaks, Kent. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted June 27, 2012 Share Posted June 27, 2012 I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Foxes in rural areas tend to be less bold than those in urban areas which is why they are seen more rarely (foxes where I live will walk around in broad daylight) but there's a fox almost everywhere, and for many people the first time they know there is one around is when their hens or rabbits are taken. I've heard many stories about foxes being rounded up and dumped in rural areas, but there is no evidence of this actually happening - it's more likely that the birth of cubs who will quickly be developing into young adults has put more pressure on the local population and forced them a bit further afield. Unfortunately all you can do really is strengthen your defences, and restrict free ranging. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted June 27, 2012 Share Posted June 27, 2012 So sorry to hear about your silkie I am like you and let mine out all day but know there are foxes about at night so they are shut away then. I know it is a risk, but like you I want them to get out and about during the day. It must be really frustrating for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 27, 2012 Share Posted June 27, 2012 You cant ever stop the fox coming but if your defences are secure they will look for an easier meal elsewhere Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted June 27, 2012 Share Posted June 27, 2012 So sorry to hear about your silkie I am like you and let mine out all day but know there are foxes about at night so they are shut away then. I know it is a risk, but like you I want them to get out and about during the day. It must be really frustrating for you. please read the thread about fox attacks. the only thing you CAN be sure of is sooner or later a fox will come... They are about day and night.... fact! As said the only way of protecting is to ensure good fox proof defenses Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...