Luvachicken

Please help - problem giving wormer to rabbit

I took Wispa to the vets last Thursday to get his cataracts checked out.

She gave him some eye drops and some panacur wormer, as she said his condition could have been caused by a parasite.

The first couple of days were easy to give him the wormer. Probably because he didn't feel that great. You have to squeeze it in through the side of their mouths.

The problem I'm having is that I can't find the side of his mouth that easily.

He is so black all around his face, it is really, really difficult to see whats what.

Can I trick him into eating it off a dandelion leaf or a rabbit chocolate drop ? Or should I wrap him up in a towel and tip him up a bit ?

I need to do something because I'm really not sure he got much of tonights dose, and I wasted a dose squirting it in the wrong place and going on my jeans.

Why can't you put the wormer in through the front of their mouth ?

At least I can see that a bit better.

If it's the Panacur paste then that can be tricky, try wrapping him in a towel and slightly tilting his head to the side

If you can get a helper try with his head just slightly over the edge of a table so the other person can look underneath

and put it in his mouth.

I have got some Lapazol now and it is a liquid and easy to administer compared to the Panacur

I used to trance until i read a paper on the effects it has on the rabbit, I will use it if i really have to

but that's not often.

Does the Panacur liquid treat the EC in rabbits DM? I know dogs get a different EC strain from rabbits

so i have never thought of using it. :think:

Liquid form is easier than the paste by a long shot and cheaper off tinternet.

Well, after wearing my rabbit dribbled jeans to work today :lol: , I decided I would look for a nice juicy dandelion leaf on which to squirt the wormer. I didn't have time to look on here first.

I squirted the amount on the leaf and stuck another one over the top and hoped it would work.

It did :dance: , so I am really pleased - he just tucked right on in, and in it all went.

Neither of us got stressed and all is well.

If you think it's not a good idea on the leaf, could you let me know. It doesn't really say whether to give it with food or not. I know I once gave the other rabbit some antibiotics on a leaf and that worked.

We had to re-visit the vet on Thursday this week and she wasn't that impressed with his eyes. She said there hadn't been much improvement so she gave him some Baytril to have too.

So having fallen for the dandelion trick twice, my game was up.

Wispa was having no more of that little game.

I even gave him a leaf with nothing on, which he devoured and left the others.

So I've had to resort to the towel.

He was very good actually and his little tongue lapped it all up.

The only thing is that now I have to give him the antibiotics in the morning and the wormer at night.

He really is not going to like me.

Good job I got him some more rabbit chocolate drops :D