lillybettybabs Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 I'm not a major tinternet person but i have been advise by a workshop i went on to start Tweeting to build a network. Does anyone else Tweet and how do you do it, It's driving me mad! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 I'll watch this thread with interest - I just don't 'get' Twitter, I don't understand how it works. Think I'll stick with Facebook, that's time-consuming enough! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rachel19 Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 Mmm we have been advised to use it as well as a networking tool for our business but we just don't see the point and find the concept a bit strange tbh. I'm not a fan of 'social neworking' things anyway and left facebook ages ago. I think twitter is useful depending on the business probably - ous it isn't really relevant as I very much doubt our customer base would use it however for others perhaps it is useful to gain a name or credibility. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 Sadly twitter does now seem to be purely used by people/organisations as a means of free publicity. I did join, but haven't been on for a while - if I want adverts I'll watch ITV for a bit! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted July 9, 2012 Author Share Posted July 9, 2012 I'm not the only one then, Within a few hours registering i had three follower and i hadn't posted anything. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 I don't do that or facebook Karen, got better things to do with my time. Sorry to be no help. I have a couple of friends who are avid twitterers for their businesses and I can put you in touch if you're interested. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 I don't know what it is either! Apart from little birdies in trees! I went into my 'Aberdashery' shop the other day & the lady there said there will be something about smocking on Twitter? You tube I like as I can watch & learn, but Facebook I don't & Twitter - well what the hell is it? Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 Twitter is a micro-blogging service, you can set a status (called a tweet) to say what you are doing or whatever. You can follow people, meaning their tweets will show up on your front page. People can follow you, meaning your tweets will show up on their front page. If you want to send a comment to someone type "@thatpersonsusername your tweet" Hashtags # are used to comment on a certain topic, for example "Andy lost #tennis" You can also see all the comments other people have written on the same topic. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 I like it. It's much like any other forum but with a different approach because you can decide what kind of timeline you build up. I communicate with lots if police, forces and bikers which are my main interests. It can be as kind and supportive as this forum, for example a soldier who was suffering from stress posted some disturbing messages and then went quiet. People who knew him only through Twitter were able to get him help. Your timeline can be anything you want. It is fun and easy to share music and pictures, people get together, much like they do on this forum. I follow lots of businesses, providing they do not only post about their business but chat too. It's important to have a profile pic like on here and put something in your profile otherwise you mostly get ignored. Then write on Twitter a few times a day, it only takes seconds, about your dogs, yourself, tweet some national news, then real people start to respond. Follow lots of people and some will follow back. It's like a virus, if one person talks or retweets you, it could be that a few hundred see that and so on. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 Just thought I'd add that at first you feel as though you're talking to yourself but it's surprising how many people are reading your tweets and if you talk about a wide range of things and just throw in references to your business and the occasional link to it it should work. I think you can put a link to your business on your profile picture. I talk to poets, artists, gardeners, authors all sorts of people I would never meet normally, they post pictures/links of their work which can then be circulated widely, all around the world. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted July 10, 2012 Author Share Posted July 10, 2012 Thanks guys, I'll stick with it - still not tweeted yet though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Leicester_H Posted July 10, 2012 Share Posted July 10, 2012 Hi I didn't 'get it' until I started using it (at work). It was really useful. I found it kind of like hearing things that you'd normally hear over a coffee or by 'accident' - things that you wouldn't normally ask about - or wouldn't even think of the question People post short (up to 140 characters) about something they've found to be useful or something they'd like to know about - but don't want to waste people's time by emailing them about. 90% of posts weren't relevant to me but 10% were REALLY useful - you can skim read them (or use one of the many tweet tools eg tweet deck) so it doesn't have to take up a lot of time. H Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted July 10, 2012 Author Share Posted July 10, 2012 Thanks, I will stick to it as it will be another free marketing tool, I just need to start thinking of short interesting things to say. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted July 10, 2012 Share Posted July 10, 2012 I love twitter I've tweeted 13,446 times in 1 year and 11 months Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 10, 2012 Share Posted July 10, 2012 Thanks, I will stick to it as it will be another free marketing tool, I just need to start thinking of short interesting things to say. I guess that as it's tied to your business you should twitter about what you're doing with the dogs, treatments, seminars you've been on, new techniques. My friend who uses it does that sort of stuff. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mr Rhode Island Red Posted July 15, 2012 Share Posted July 15, 2012 I don't use Twitter, and I am currently (and successfully ) doing cold turkey from Facebook. I am a bit of a sheep-following-the-flock kind of person when it comes to social networking, I won't use them unless a friend is! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...