Mrs_B

Please help! Advise needed quickly.

Hello all,

I have had my chickens just over a week. All is going well until my Amber this evening. I just went out after she laid her second softie in the last three days - she is all fluffed up under a dust bath which has been made for the chickens and will barely open her eyes.

The difference today is that I placed some grass in the run for them to peck at and clean the woodchip with lice powder and Stanlosan.

PLEASE advise what to do - if I check her, what do I look for? What's the best way to hold her if she's like this? I am really trying not to panic but she's gone down hill over only an hour :(

Thank you!

- Update I have checked her bottom and she hasn't gone anything there or there isn't any lice on her skin/feathers. My ,mother is holding her and she's letting us do what she wants, whcih is unusual as the chooks still don't like being handled.

I'm sorry to hear about Amber :( , I don't really have any advice to give but I do know that when there is a softie on the way it can make them feel off colour. Plus if she is new to laying, it may just be a blip in her system until she gets into the swing of things.

I would try giving her a calcium supplement which aids in shell construction and helps with the contractions, also maybe some nutri-drops. But for now I would keep her inside and warm and keep an eye on her.

Someone with more experience will be along soon.

Hope she feels better soon x.

Hello Henslaved

Thank you so much for replying - honestly it means A LOT.

I have her inside a box with water and some Alphamix which she is now eating and drinking. She still isn't right.

I don't have nutri-drops but Herban liquid - I also have a cuttle fish - will these be OK? If not, what is recommended? I have a spare egg if I should boil and crush up the shell?

I'm so glad she's eating and drinking!! If she's no better, she will be going to the vet.

x

I give mine Nutrobal for softies and Lifeguard in their water which helps to improve overall condition.

I think boiled crushed eggshell would be ok, but I prefer the Nutrobal as it contains vitamin D3 amongst other vitamins and minerals.

Glad to hear she is eating and drinking :D , they are such a worry sometimes :wink: .

I have had a similar experience and fully expected my hen not to last until the next day when infact she trotted out the eglu the following morning as if she had not been ill at all. I hope this is the case for you too and you find she is much improved tomorrow :pray:

The other thing to consider before trying supplements is her diet. Softies can be a problem if hens are not being fed a balanced diet. You should be feeding layers pellets or layers mash. Corn and other things should be kept as treats but I would lay off them until she is laying properly. Fresh greens are fine. :D Hens do look very poorly when they have a softie brewing but generally pick up quickly once it has been passed.

Thank you very much everyone for your replies.

The girls normally eat layers mash (Garvo) and alphamix for a treat (I thought giving this to her might encourage eating)

She's made an awfully smelly poop and is attempting to sleep with her head down and bottom high in the air. I hope it is to do with the softie and she will be OK in the morning!!

Yes, they do make you worry! I have become so attached to the girls already.

I am going to pick up some other supplements tomorrow, thanks again so much everyone!

x

I slept on the sofa with the box near me so I could check the chicken throughout the night! She wasn't right until about 4am when she passed another softie, which was huge this time and just yolk. She looks a bit better in herself and is currently eating her oyster shell - but I will keep her in the box for a couple more hours just in case as she isn't quite right yet.

Thank you, everyone!

x

Thank you!!

My Amber girl is back in the coop and run with her pals and after making a racket (I think they were all happy to be together again!) between them they are all acting as if nothing has happened...I am relieved!

Thank you again everyone for your advise :)

x

As the others have said soft eggshells early in their laying career aren't at all uncommon but will be helped by some calcium and vitD. If she carries on like this then it could indicate a problem with her shell gland and it would be worth contacting the outlet you bought them from to see if they would be willing to swap that hen for a healthy one.

This morning my Amber went into the nest box for a while, squarked like crazy just before she popped back outside and she has laid her normal sized egg with a hard shell!! All back to her normal routine.

Thank you so much everyone for your advise, I am sure 'Big Sister' would say thank you too if she could! :lol:

x