Minty_76 Posted July 11, 2012 Share Posted July 11, 2012 I took my 3 year old to a farm park today and we saw a massive Buff Orpington cockerel! Never seen them in real life and he was HUGE! Just thought I would share that! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted July 11, 2012 Share Posted July 11, 2012 I met one when we visited Chatsworth a few years ago - it was the size of a small pony!! Massive aren't they? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted July 11, 2012 Share Posted July 11, 2012 Where we got our chicks from there was the most enormous cockeral, he was huge and I couldn't imagine anything taking him on. He is called 'The General' Being a novice I've no idea what breed he is. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 you want to see a full-sized Brahma cockerel then - they are the size of a 5 year old! You wouldn't have a fox problem with one of those around. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dance in the dark Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 I have seen Orpington Cockerels, but the biggest in my memory is a Salmon Faverolle, although that was when I was new to chickens, I still don't feel I am exaggerating when I say he was about 5 feet tall (maybe I am exaggerating slightly...) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 I met one when we visited Chatsworth a few years ago - it was the size of a small pony!! Massive aren't they? I think brahmas are probably the tallest, Jersey Giants are probably the heaviest, orps are the widest because of all the fluff and even a large Sussex boy will make a large orpington hen look like a midget Its a good job they are mostly good natured, you'd easily get flattened otherwise I love giant cockerals Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minty_76 Posted July 12, 2012 Author Share Posted July 12, 2012 Where we got our chicks from there was the most enormous cockeral, he was huge and I couldn't imagine anything taking him on. He is called 'The General Love that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted July 12, 2012 Share Posted July 12, 2012 What about these pics then of our local cockerel !!!! http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dorking+cockerel&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4xj_T-25Aqi80QXkqoWuBw&sqi=2&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1311&bih=544 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...