LolaLayla

We have our puppy now.

It'll be hard for you to leave her but it will be a good exercise for her to get used to you not being around, and someone else looking after her. When you leave it might be a good idea for OH to take her out for a walk so that she doesn't associate you going out of the door with a prolonged absence. At this age it's easy for them to get too attached to one human and then be difficult to leave with anyone.

:lol: She is so fluffy I really do not know where the groomer will start on Tuesday. Probably wont help that I trimmed her up a bit :oops: I don't know why the breed is not more popular :? As from what I have seen she isn't a total lap dog and is up for rampaging round the garden, through bushes and digging (not sure how happy I am about that one :lol: ) I know some poodles can be yappy and anxious but so far she is quiet and doesn't bother when I leave her. Although I suppose because I knew these could be issues I have tried to preempt them.

I thought I would let OH deal with her first thing today as a trial for when I am away. She did not get overexcited with him letting her out. He was able to deal with her and the chickens. Although there was a bit of a crisis as one of the silkies had got stuck between the eglu egg door and the roll away nest box in the eglu. She was trapped :shock: So he had to release her. I think she probably got squashed by one of the hybrids during the night and I think the roll away box will need to go. Hopefully the magpies will have forgotten about the eggs and we won't go back to them going in to eat them :pray:

Poodles (well standard ones at any rate) are bred to be working water dogs and while the smaller sizes can be excitable, the larger ones are less so.

They are very bright so better behaved if they get plenty of mental stimulation; you could try setting up an obstacle course in the garden/drive, with things to weave through, walk along, a maze and different textures. It will make her mind work and help to improve the control she has over herself and you have over her. I have been doing this with Ruby as part of her T Touch treatment to make her better with loud noises and other stimuli. She's pretty knackered at the end of it as we walk slowly and stop to get her attention. You don't need to buy any special kit, just use stuff from home/the garden.

Try looking on YouTube for TTouch groundwork.

She is so gorgeous, is she a toy or miniature poodle? We went to look at some silver toy poodles before settling on a shih tzu. The only reason we didn't get a poodle was because the breeder told us they needed a lot of exercise and mental stimulation and I was looking for a quiet dog, although only time will tell if ours is going to be the quiet little lap dog I was after :lol:

Her mum is a toy x miniature and dad is quite a tall miniature so I think she will be miniature size. I also thought of getting a shih tzu but saw Lara and that was that. She certainly likes to be busy and I spend time giving her different things to do. She is really quick to pick things up but then does them when she wants :roll: At puppy class she has progressed to doing a routine where she has to sit, stay, I have to reverse away from her and then look away, then turn and walk round her and back to face her and she has not to move. In class she kept turning round but we tried it at home and she has got it now :shock: Exercisewise she is not that keen on walks but will run like a hare in the garden :lol: She has to be lifted out if it is raining :roll: