LolaLayla

We have our puppy now.

Good idea to feed after training; I always feed mine after their walks as it focusses them more.

I make either liver cake or sardine cake for them. Just whiz up the main ingredient in a food processor with one or two raw eggs and a little non-gluten flour (spelt is fine or rice/potato flour) you need it to be fairly thick and doughy. Press it into a lined baking tray and bake until it is hardish, turn it over and bake the other side until it's a leathery sort of consistency. Cool and break up into small pieces which you can then freeze in sandwich bags and take out however much you need at a time.

It's amazing how much attention you get when you have this in your pocket!

I wouldn't worry too much LolaLayla, he'll only do it the once :lol:

So true :lol:

We had a bit of a worry last night with Lara :( She had had her dinner and was out playing in the garden while we sat watching and throwing her ball for about 45 mins and all was fine. I had however on many occasions had to take dried grass, sticks, petals, leaves, soil etc out her mouth. After this she was so tired and lay down on her bed. She fell asleep for about 10 mins then woke up and was sick. It seemed to be her undigested dinner. She fell asleep again and then about 5 mins later woke up and retched. She then slept and when she woke up she was perfectly fine. She ate her supper and has not looked back since. I have no idea what was wrong as she did not seem to bring up anything other than food :? It certainly gave us a shock as she has had no problems up until now. The only thing I can think of is she ate then ran about for a long time rather than the other way round which is what usually happens :?

It's best not to have exercise and eating to close together; I'd allow around an hour between the two and preferably feed after exercise. This is especially important with deep chested hounds as they can get Bloat which is a type of colic that can be lethal if not treated very quickly.

My guess is that she bolted her grub then got too excited. :lol:

Such a cute little fluff ball :)

We make tuna treats for our two (similar to DM's recipe) and liver jerky which is so easy! Chop 500g of liver and cook in a pan for 5 minutes, drain and put the pieces on a foil lined baking tray and cook at 160 for an hour, turn them over and continue cooking for 45 minutes. Stinks the kitchen out but the dogs love them :dance: We also use the 'liver water' by pouring it into our bone shaped ice (cube :lol: ) tray :dance: We only give them these liver lollies outside though! :wink:

Big day for Lara as she was out on the lead for the first time today. It went a lot better than our practise sessions in the garden :D She walked well, a bit behind me but I did not need to pull her along. I encouraged her if she faltered with treats. We met a few dogs and all went reasonably well. One was a very barky puppy who she was a bit unhappy about.

We were in the town for a short while and it was funny to see her reaction as up until now I think she though she was the centre of everyone's attention. She was really shocked when folks walked past her without a second look as she was prepared for them by wagging her tail. The look she gave them as they walked past was priceless.

Karin, if she's a bit mad then try some T Touch on her; it works wonders. I take Ruby to see Toni Shelbourne in Reading as that dog has always lived life on the edge and been permanently wound up/excitable (it's the collie blood :roll: )

After a couple of session you'll be able to do it yourself and she will be much calmer.

I can't wait till I can take Neela out. Another 3 weeks sadly (she had to restart her vaccs as 1st one was a diff brand to our vets ones)

That is such a shame :( I know I was counting the days until we could get out. I have been walking a couple more times. She seems a bit anxious and has developed a free floating whine :roll: I am trying to ignore it as best as I can and encourage her along. Perhaps the barky puppy has affected her :?

Just a little update. Lara is now nearly 15 weeks old :shock: If my calculations are correct :lol: She seems healthy and happy and a very smart little thing - although not so little now. It is sad how fast they grow. She is clean indoors apart from some stress weeing if folks come in and overexcite her but we are working on that. I bought "poochie bells" (sp) and have hung them on the back door, if she wants out she touches them with her nose and they ring. She is really getting the hang of it. This morning she rang them and she went out but just for a mooch about so I called her in. A short while later she rang them and went out to do her business and was then straight back in :D We have been going to a couple of training classes and she can come, sit, stay, down, crawl (don't know why I decided to teach her that one) but she will only manage if there isn't a leaf blowing past etc :lol: She has "attitude" according to the trainer, although she is still very wary of other dogs. I think she is quite strong willed and will do what I ask if there is a treat on offer but if not she will do it if she has the mind to :lol: She is getting better everyday walking although will suddenly stop (not good for the back) or bite the lead if she gets excited. I took her to the beach yesterday and she enjoyed it much more than when I last took her about 10 days ago.

She is good in her crate at night and when I go out. The main problem that we are trying to overcome is mouthing/biting of people and clothes. She doesn't do it hard but it is a bit wearing and we are all trying different ways to correct it. Nothing seems to work when she is overexcited. All we can do is give her a frozen bit of carrot or her chew, which she loves. OH bought her a bumper pack of her 'cigars' (chews) from Wilkinsons so that should keep her going for a while :D She is going to the groomers on Tuesday...YS begged me to take her following my attempt to trim her :shock::lol: I will try to post some up to date photos soon. Technology is such a trial for me :oops::lol:

Will do my best to put some up to date photos on :D Just been to get some more wormer from the vet nurse. Lara now weighs 3kg. She was 1.5 at 8 weeks. Lara trained the vet nurse while we were there :shock: After I showed her how Lara could lie down etc She proceeded to go through her repertoire without being asked and with each move the nurse gave her a treat. The nurse is doing well with her training :lol::lol: