LolaLayla

We have our puppy now.

Things still going ok. However the rain put her off a bit last night :? I had gone out, leaving ES in charge and when I returned I was told that there was a poo for me to dispose of in the garden :roll: while doing this YS let Lara out, she took one look at the rain and turned back in and did a wee inside. If I had been with her I would have encouraged her more to go out but it was just one of those things. It was the first time she had seen rain so no wonder she didn't fancy going out in it :shock: Apart from that she was dry last night 10.30 until 6.00!

Yesterday I held her outside while the bin lorry trundled along and she wasn't bothered by all the clattering which was great, as a bonus the bin man spoke to her :D

I noticed that she has a lump on the back of her neck, but I reckon it is her injection site :(

Thanks folks :D She is so fluffy. I have been brushing her daily and will need to get her trimmed once inoculated. I am not sure if I need to wait until her more adult fur comes through :? Or perhaps she will just keep the same type of fur :? I will need to ask a groomer. I would like to have a go at clipping her myself but may take her somewhere first. OH was shocked that you have to leave your dog there and go back for them :lol: My MIL gave me some small clippers for face and legs and following a youtube grooming video suggestion I have been placing the buzzing clippers on her pads each day to get her used to the sound and vibration. She is such a sweetheart :D

I used to trim Cookie before she got too big to go on the table - just her face and *ahem* the other end :lol: I think she went to a professional groomers at about 8 months and I was told off - apparently she should have gone before then to get used to going. Perhaps you should just take her in and ask for advice, maybe a wash and brush up first.

I have a great groomer now who owns poodles herself (at first Cookie always came back looking like a proper poodle - the groomer couldn't help herself apparently :wink::roll: ) I gave her information on how Cookie should be cut and its been fine since then.

She really is too cute for words :D

I have a great groomer now who owns poodles herself (at first Cookie always came back looking like a proper poodle - the groomer couldn't help herself apparently :wink::roll: ) I gave her information on how Cookie should be cut and its been fine since then.

:D

The breeder told me to take a picture of how I wanted her to look to the groomers when I take her as she had had hers with interesting 'do's' in the past :shock: I should have asked her when to get it done :doh: A lady down the road cuts her poodles coat and it looks lovely. She just uses scissors.

She is very fluffy especially when I brush her :D I had a bit of a go at clipping her feet last night and she was very patient. Also removing ear hair as per vets instruction. I am just trying a little at a time so as not to upset her. Night before last she wet outside her crate and she got excited and had a wee when a friend arrived (but she had just woken). Apart from that she is doing fine. This morning she is a star. She went to bed at 10.30 and I accidentally slept until 7.15, but she was dry :dance: Then out in the garden where she did what she had to do and after a quick play we had a little bit of training. She is really good when she concentrates. She can sit and if I move away slowly she will stay. I suppose we are up to about 4 seconds at present which I think is pretty good. As I have not had a dog before I am sure this may not be exciting for previous dog owners but I just am amazed at how quickly she can learn. However once we are outside she is so distracted by leaves, sticks, chickens :wink: or anything else that takes her eye in the garden she doesn't listen as well.

She will accept her collar but does not like the lead....any tips on how to overcome this? She is apt to pull backwards if I put it on. All I can think is to encourage her forward with a treat :? She also jumps at my legs when we are playing with the ball or rope outside and will try to get my ankles when I walk in the house. I just tell her "down" but it doesn't mean anything to her as yet. I could get her to sit but then when I start moving again she is up at my legs. I have tried standing still and not playing and that seems to help. I am doing the right thing? Any other tips?

With the lead, assuming it is a nice lightweight lead, you can just clip it onto Lara's collar and let it drag on the floor as she walks around (supervise her to make sure it doesn't get tangled in anything). This should help her get used to the feeling of having the lead attached. Then, once she is happy with this, start picking it up and walking with her. As you suggest, you can give her a treat for accepting the lead.

When she jumps up at you, you are doing the right thing by ignoring the behaviour. She will soon realise that it doesn't get her any attention. You can also give her something else to do such as a toy or chew to play with by herself.

That said, I have the same problem with Tango when we play ball in the park - when she brings it back to me she always jumps up and thumps her front paws onto my legs. I am usually sporting a rainbow of bruises at any time :roll: so maybe my advice isn't the best! :lol:

Re the attacking your legs; you need to ignore her and 'be a tree', cross your arms and ignore her in an exaggerated fashion... so move your face away from her and look at the ceiling or something in the other direction until she stops. When she does, praise quickly and give a high value treat. I use either homemade liver cake or chopped up frankfurters/cheese.

Ok. Thanks for replies :D I have heard of dried liver treats. Is that the same as liver cake? How do you make this? I use pet shop treats that I break into tiny pieces. I have worked out the best time to train is before a meal as she is much more keen to get the treat then. She is so sweet I feel a bit bad about that but we only 'train' for about 5 mins and then she gets her meal.