Julia_K

Sudden bullying behaviour

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum but am really finding your advice and support useful. I bought four lovely chickens about 6 weeks ago and they quickly settled down, sorted themselves out and started laying within a couple of weeks. However, during the last week, Bungle has started been fairly vicious towards Nellie (the meekest of the group) - jumping on her and really giving her a tough old time with her beak - feathers are breaking but there is no blood so far. I thought it was just Bungle being a bully but I've now seen Zippy having the same sort of go at Bungle, though not nearly as often! I know chickens re-establish the pecking order once they start laying but, as they started laying some while ago, I'm a bit surprised it could be happening now. I'm getting through the anti-pecking spray quite quickly but to no effect and their run has plenty of toys and perches, etc. They free range whenever I'm around to watch them. Has anyone had anything similar happen and successfully dealt with it?

I can't offer much practical help but a similar situation happened to me a last weekend, my white star suddenly turned on my black rock and was bullying her mercilessly. I let them out to free range for the day and that was the last I saw of any bullying! they've been back together in their run peacefully, friends as if it never happened.

It was suggested here (thanks Good Egg!) that it might be because the black rock was maybe coming in to lay, although shes not produced the goods yet, the fighting has completely stopped and it's as if the whole episode never happened! :dance:

I also read that sometimes birds know when one of them is ill and will bully the poorly one - hence why chickens hide illness so effectively! Hopefully its nothing like that in your case and they will sort out their issues on their own...

Thanks for the reply - today they seem a bit calmer together, so perhaps they were just sorting themselves out. I'll keep an eye on them, but it was good to know similar has happened to others (although not nice that it's happening). A huge walk in run is being built by lovely husband tomorrow, so I can be sure they will have enough space to be happy together as autumn approaches and they are not able to free range for as long.

Oh dear, just had to fit a bit on Bungle as the bullying escalated again - she must just have been having a good day when I thought it was getting better! I think putting it on hurt me more than it hurt her - it was a bit upsetting watching her try to get it off and making noises I'd not heard before. I put it on just after she went to bed, so I am hoping that she is now calming down overnight and she will be ignoring the fact that it's there in the morning (it's a bit like having braces as a kid I guess!). Fingers crossed things pan out as they're supposed to....

Im sure that she'll be fine with her bumpa bit tommorow. Just be ready with another one in about two to three months time when it wares off, as the pecking and feather pecking may continue..... if not at least you'll be ready...

I have had a bumpa bit on my number 1 chook for 6 months and the last one has worn off, she seems not to be pulling feathers out at the moment, but I'll keep an eye out just in case it starts again as she can strip one of the girls back ends in a day!!

Good luck :) :)