Cheeky Chooky

What were the girls staring at?

There was quite a lot of activity in the garden...my OH was busy all day...lots of to-ing and fro-ing...

The girls were watching intently...

P1010517.JPG

:think: They pondered a while...wondering what that other run was for? :think::wink:

P1010501.JPG

But it wasn't too long before all became clear :D

P1010559.JPG

P1010594.JPG

P1010630.JPG

:D Dilys, Daphne and Daisy, gorgeous Miniature Silver Appleyard Ducks have joined our family :D They are absolutely adorable and we're besotted with them :D

The banty girls have already stopped staring at their new neighbours and are carrying on in their own sweet way :lol: Eddie and Lola have been fab too and haven't barked at them once...good doggies :clap:

I'll post some more pics over on the Duck part of the Forum :wink:

Thanks peeps :D

Oh they are beautiful, I'm sure your girls will soon get used to the new arrivals. Love your set up too. Ducks are such lovely little characters, I've only had mine a few weeks but love them.

The chooks aren't bothered in the slightest :lol: Daphne is the one who keeps nosing at her neighbours, bless her :wink: They are such gentle little things aren't they...the chooks make me :lol: but these girls are so calming to watch :D

Mine were hatched under a dark coloured chicken so have attached themselves to Esme the bantam orp who is the least maternal of the lot, should have plumped for Cilla who is always broody! They follow her around the garden making little noises and if they are sunbathing they try to get under her. Normally Esme is the feisty one but she seems to tolerate them and have never pecked them, it's actually quite sweet seeing them altogether and they have definitely learnt from the girls, for example queuing at the back door at tea time for treats. :D

I was worried the girls would be territorial but it's all worked out great.

Fab :D We had to return Daphne to the Breeder as she was just not settled and constantly quacked, very loudly :roll: but we came home with the handsome Dennis :wink: Don't know if you've seen this thread?

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90407

Their run is working really well and still looks neat and tidy :shock: We were going to give them a small pond but the trug is working so well and they seem happy so we're leaving things as they are for a while...apart from putting up the 1m extension that was delivered yesterday :wink:

We've got strong suspicions that Dilys is also a drake :roll: I did ask the Breeder when we first saw the flock and he assured me she was a duck :roll::think: Let's see...she makes the same sound as Dennis, mounts Daisy once a day and the dark grey feathers on her head now have quite a smattering of green feathers...seems highly likely :!: There doesn't seem to be a problem between her and Dennis but only time will tell. Things are very harmonious in the duck run and we don't want to spoil that but if little Daisy gets too put upon :shock: there's probably room for a couple of Call Ducks...we're concerned about the noise level of Calls though so not sure really.

I have to say, when researching keeping ducks, the main message was that they're messier, noisier and more hassle than chooks but that's not our experience so far...they're wonderful :D Thanks for asking after them too :D

I have to say, when researching keeping ducks, the main message was that they're messier, noisier and more hassle than chooks but that's not our experience so far...they're wonderful :D

I so agree. Miniature ducks seem to be very neat, tidy, non messy little things. They also seem to get on so well with the chickens. Our latest addition - Puddle - is besotted with our cockerel too and just follows him around everywhere. She was raised under a chicken and seems to be talking the same language because although my other ducks didn't like her one bit the chickens are quite happy to include her in all their chicken games.