Chortle Chook

Arrival of Puddle and story of Intros to Walter & Jemmima

After a glorious day with Mollyripkim yesterday I came home with another dear little call ducky now called Puddle. Here she is

DuckyPuddle_2_24-09-12.jpg

Alas, however, the intros are not going brilliantly. :( From other posts here I kinda thought (or perhaps it was just wishful thinking) that ducky intros would be nothing like chicken ones and the resident ducks would just waddle up, take a look at the new girl and then waddle off to do other things.

This is how we started

Duckyintros_24-09-12-2.jpg

but from there on things went down hill. My current ducks keep rushing up to poor Puddle, with sort of snaky necks, and then try and pull her feathers out. I'm concerned that this is going to really stress her out. :anxious: I put her in makeshift accomodation overnight and this morning have her on the patio where she is being introduced to one at a time under strict supervision. I'm particularly worried that if she goes in the main garden they will try and drown her in the paddling pool. Does anyone know how long this is likely to go on for? and should I get another pond for Puddle or can she manage on the patio for a few days without swimming water?

Edited by Guest

Hi i would put her in with them it always looks worse than it is mine always do the neck wrestling and pulling feathers as long as she has room to get away she will be fine also normally once the drake has got it on with her she should be accepted ducks are no way near as mean as chickens leanne :)

Today's update . . . I let Puddle out onto the pond (paddling pool) this morning, followed by Jemmima and Walter who promptly did their best to drown her - yes really :shock: Of course I came to her rescue. Since then she has wisely decided to find company with the chickens. It is really sweet how when I call the chickens for their treats they all rush up as usual and in the middle of them is little Puddle :D I think she is so happy with them because she was raised by a chicken :think: but I have no idea why the chickens are so happy to let her join them. There has been no fuss from that quarter at all.

Anyway, OH and I have discussed the situation at length and as we have not had Jemmima and Walter for long (we were given them after we had booked Puddle), we have decided to find a new home for Jemmima and Walter together where they can have free ranging as they do here, and then see if Puddle needs a boy all of her own.

Could it be that Walter the drake is just mounting Puddle? Duck mating is quite rough. :shock: My two females freak me out sometimes as one is often sitting right on top of the other with the one on top gripping the underneath one by the neck. It looks horrible and is curious but it does happpen that one female mounts the other :?:? . As my two are identical I can not tell if the one on top is always the same one.This happens in the paddling pool and on land. The underneath duck flattens herself right out.I think I would try removing Jemima and leaving Walter and Puddle together to see what happens, supervised of course. Walter may just be showing mating behaviour but I am not sure so I would hover when they are put back together. I am not trying to influence your decision to rehome W and J, just sharing my thoughts. Iyswim? x

Coppers, I think you have saved the day. I have put Jemmima out of the way (behind the patio fence) and have left Walter with Puddle on the paddling pool. I feel a tad foolish that I did not realise that Walter was just wanting his wicked way with Puddle. :oops: Golly am I glad I'm not a girly duck :shock: I'm still not sure why Jemmima has been doing the same but as you say, perhaps some ducks just do this. I guess it could be dominant behaviour. It is going to take me a while before I can feel comfortable when one duck seems to be holding the other duck's head under the water but Puddle does surface again. :anxious:

I hope all continues to be okay duckwise, albeit a little alarming at times when 'things' happen. :D I too am glad you have decided to keep Walter and Jemima as you are clearly very fond of them. Puddle is sooooo gorgeous by the way. My Puddle, who was lovely too, was a bluey, lavendery (???)colour with a white bib. You could get a couple more little females to spread Walter's ardour a bit more thinly? :wink::wink: Not that I would do that of course :liar::liar: .

I am currently rethinking my whole setup to give our ducks more space as, due to increasing fox activity :roll: , Daisy and Lily can only free range when I am available to be in the garden with them. Some days they don't come out of their pen (which is not ideal) and it is a mud pie at the moment as it has rained so hard this week! There is a clear tarpaulin over their pen so I think it is getting wet from rain running off of the rest of the garden. TodayI have bought turf and some wood chippings to give them a new surface to live on which I am just about to go and sort out. We are hoping for some good weather to enable us to create a new, larger pen in a different area of the garden so if they have to stay in there they will have a lot more space. Hopefully it will be easier to keep lovely for them. We are going to combine the cube and run ,(which houses the hens), with the duck pen ,so they will be in together and they will all have more space.

Our new garden plans will take a great deal of work and I think my DH deserves a medal for putting up with me!! xx

Hi Coppers, good luck with your new run plans, know what you mean about hubby too, mine has been a star this year sorting out my new WIR. Like you we have combined the cube with the WIR and we used the cube run extension on the other end of the WIR to house the paddling pool for the ducks. The concrete is lower in that part so I can empty it without getting the woodchip wet as I have silkies and they like to be dry and it works really well. I had to use more tarpaulin than I would have liked, but at least they are dry now.

Look forward to seeing your pictures when you have finished.

Cheeky Chooky do you cover the sides of their run too? When I had just the cube run I was able to keep it completely water tight, now have Omlet WIR originally just covered at the back and over the top. We cut the piece above the door to make a sort of porch as the rain was running off the roof then pouring into the door. Then with all the terrible rain it was being blown in in the open ends so we have covered that too. Maybe I am being too fussy but I like the woodchip to be dry for the girls.

I wondered how you managed to keep yours dry?

I've only got the roof covered at the moment; the tarp comes down the front and back by about 6". We haven't really had any prolonged rainfall as yet so I'll wait and see how the run fares :roll: The chook's entire run is covered so they stay bone dry...but OH says it looks like we've got an old Cortina in the garden waiting to be worked on :lol: I know what he means...even though the tarps are all clear ones, they still look unsightly :? but I'd rather the girls were nice and dry :)