Popcorn

'Fair Trade' clothing

Working in textile manufactoring, what a lot of people don't realise it that there are only so many manufacturers out there these days, and many of the designer clothes are made together with the non designer clothes in the same place. A lot of designer clothes use cheap, throw away fabrics that only last 'the season' but you end up paying probably nearly 200% more than it cost to make the thing in the first place.

Nothing wrong with places like Matalan.

My only grievance is that these big companies are all guilty of paying 'offshore' manufacturers peanuts to produce the clothes :evil:

My only grievance is that these big companies are all guilty of paying 'offshore' manufacturers peanuts to produce the clothes :evil:

Nice to see someone else after my own heart. I just wish I could afford to buy fair trade clothes - there are some really good manufacturers with a conscience.

Oops I feel guilty now, you guys have really got a point and I'm aware that workers overseas get paid peanuts, but I suppose I haven't really let that awareness seep into my consciousness when I'm clothes shopping, which is strange because I'm quite careful about my food shopping, ethical production, food miles etc etc. With clothes it's see it, like it, if it fits and is affordable- I buy it and don't question where it came from and wether the workers were fairly paid or not.

Several years ago M&S used to trade on the all products sold by them were British made, but that's long gone out of the window. So, can anyone recommend ethical clothes manufacturers, and how do I identify them on the high street? I suppose it's back to labels, but is it as simple as avoid clothes made in the 3rd world, because if we stop buying these clothes their economies will surely decline, so I want to buy their clothes, but ensure that I buy from retailers that pay them fairly.

However I hate mail order clothes shopping, I'm an odd size/ shape as I'm quite slim below the waist but am rather well endowed up-top, which can mean a size 10 bottoms but a size 16 top, although it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and I do have to try things on before I buy. I'm terrible at returning mail order items, so I simply don't buy clothes that way. Also I can't afford designer prices.

So, where should I shop? Suggestions please :D

Sorry Dan, it's just dawned that I'm guilty of persuading this to drift off topic :oops::oops::oops::roll:

Nice to see someone else after my own heart. I just wish I could afford to buy fair trade clothes - there are some really good manufacturers with a conscience.

That's it exactly. Afford to. I can't so I buy cheap clothes. It's either that or walk around in a bin bag. I know which everyone would prefer. When I'm rich, I'll buy Fair Trade clothes. Until then, it's Bewise and Matalan, I'm afraid.

I've split this from Dan's photos topic.

KateA - I buy my hiking boots from a company called Ethical Wares and they also do a range of clothing as well as jewellery, hats, scarves...

It is mail order though which may not be any good for you but most of their prices are reasonable.

Also, it must be said that some of the Fair Trade clothing can be a bit.......um.......odd :? and some of it is positively of the 'knit your own beansprouts' variety :?

I went to Primark for the first time last week & I was just AMAZED :shock:

OK, so you had to dig through a LOT of tat to find the good stuff....but when you found it ,it as pretty darn good.

I bought the most stunning aqua blue tie dye top with little mirors & sequins for my daughter & it was just £2

Also, my Mum is in hospital after an accident last year, & will unfortunatly now be hospitalized for the rest of her life. When we sent nice M&S clothes down for her, they "went missing" between the ward & the laundry, so I got a whole load of nice leisure suits,joggers & tops for her at Primark which were so cheap that we can replace them easily should they go walkabout too :D

Also, it must be said that some of the Fair Trade clothing can be a bit.......um.......odd :? and some of it is positively of the 'knit your own beansprouts' variety :?

:lol::lol: How true! Also, what ever topic we're on, you always make me laugh.

I know a shop where, on a good day, you can buy good quality, affordable clothing. They may only have a one off in each size and colour, how exclusive! Yet they have branches in most high streets.

All profits go towards alleviating poverty, and the clothing is all being recycled. You can even give them your discarded clothing and/or shopping mistakes.

Hope this helps; Oxfam. :wink:

I really like fairtrade clothing. Sometimes it can be a bit odd (see http://www.ptree.co.uk/2005AW/WD008.html ), but I have bought a few nice blokes shirts that were fairtrade - handmade, handwoven organic cotton, with a coconut shell buttons. Admittedly they were £35 each. I wore them out quite quickly because they looked so good. Also I love the smell when you open the box - you can almost taste the floor of a Bangladesh village hut. Mmmmmm.

I'd like to know which companies NOT to buy from. This also applies to food. I try to buy fairly traded food but it is difficult to know which companies are trading unfairly abroad. After all, we can buy Kellog's assuming British stuff is OK but we might be very wrong! Are British Corn companies causing a lot of problems in third world countries?

Make Poverty History!

There seems to be a lot more available in children's/baby's clothing than there is in 'conventional' looking adult stuff. I sometimes find myself selecting our new seasons range & wishing our suppliers would make things in adult sizes. :lol: . It depends really what your tastes are. People Tree, Bishopston trading, SuSuMaMa, or Gossypium. Organic clothing stands a better chance of being fairly traded, but is by no means a guarentee. Unlike food, there is no fair trade mark system for clothing. There are also a host of small businesses he UK run by mums working from home, known as WAHMs, but again they tend to make thinds for children rather than adults.

M&S now has policies to try to ensure good workign conditions in their factories, e.g. not employing under 16s, but short of having someone there constantly its hard to enforce. Its a problem I sypmathise with, since I'm currently tying to find a manfacturer to work with & I'm not in a position to go jetting round the world to check their conditions.

I have the same problem with being curvy. I've recently decided to stop wasting money on things that don't quite fit & invested in some tops from bravissimo. They've go t a sale onnow so its a good time to try them out.

Gina - what area of manufacturing are you in?

I'm an odd size/ shape as I'm quite slim below the waist but am rather well endowed up-top, which can mean a size 10 bottoms but a size 16 top, although it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer ...

Lucky you! - I'm the other way round - well big top and bigger bum!! :roll::lol:

Has anyone seen freerangers stuff?

www.freerangers.com

A good book to read is No Logo. A real eye opener.

Freerange, I freelance for a childrenswear manufacturers. Their main production off shore is now in India, but they have used China and Lithuania before now. They supply Bhs, Mothercare, Asda, Dunnes Stores. The retailers themselves demand such low costs, with an all singing all dancing product, you can see where things go wrong.They have us over a barrel. If we don't supply it, someone else will. It's a terrible situation. I think the worst high street retailer for terrible working conditions and poor pay is Gap.

Its a vicious circle though isn't it? Consumers are largely price orientated, so retailers market to that (& in the process hit the manufacturers for lower & lower costs), so consumers come to expect it. Then the smaller retailers have to struggle to keep up. In the end the only winners are the shareholders of the big companies. ITA that if you don't someone else will. There will always be someone who thinks they can do it for less. :(

I quite agree Dan but would also add that it worried me a long time ago that Farmers were driving foreign 4x4's - it has to work both ways. Land Rover is now an American owned company.

I make a conscious effort to Buy British wherever I can and have done since the 70's campaign of that name - choice is becoming ever more limited though.