riane

difficult decision

You may remember in March we celebrated our cats 20th birthday. Well the last few weeks he has been getting slower, stiffer and eating very little. I took him to the vets on saturday and he has a large tumour in his stomach. he does not seem to be in any great pain but the vet has given him a prognosis of 6- 8 weeks. She has also given him some pain releif medicine to help with his joint stiffness. The vet was really understanding and let us take him home to try to nurse him at home...the question is when to call it a day and let him die with some dignity and respect. Or would he be better at home...the vet has said he could have a fit at any time as his kidney and liver are not working properly...the children are very upset and the thought of him having a fit is very distressing...oh what to do.....what would you do? :?

You will know when to call it a day.

Maybe in a week or so you might all decide that it's time.

It's a hard thing to decide but you will do what's right and somehow you will know when enough is enough.

My Mums dog made it to the ripe old age of 16 and towards the end my Mum (and the rest of us) just knew it was time. :(

You are in my thoughts and let us know what happens.

This is very sad........You have to do what you think is right for your cat, if you think he is suffering then you have to choose what you think is right......

I know what I woud do......

I agree.

This is so sad, its never easy to see a loved pet become ill.

It may be better for all of you as a family to say goodbye sooner rather than later.

You will all be able to remember him as a healthy animal,not just a very sick one.

Good luck,not an easy one, but I know which route I would choose.

It's really sad. We had this with our dog and cat 2 years ago and a hen this year. We planned what we'd do, home or at the vet and then, when we saw the quality of life dwindle, we did what we had too. It's sad and I feel for you :( It's what is best for them in the end.

BBx

I'm so sorry Maria to hear your news - It's so terribly sad when this happens and I fully appreciate and understand the difficulties you are facing. We suffered the same dilema with our Freddie a couple of times but his nine lives turned into eighteen! He eventually died at home with all of us with him.

How old are your children? It maybe best at this time to start preparing your children for the inevitable and I don't think they're ever too young to understand infact you'd be amazed as to what insight they have.

All you can do is make sure that he is comfortable and that he is not in pain - how regularly can you give him the painkillers? It would be so nice if he could die peacefully at home and some vets do come to your home if you come to the decision to have him put to sleep.

You will know when the time has come - I guess it will depend on how much discomfort or stress he's having at the time.

I'm thinking of you

A difficult decision Maria

You will know when the time is right and will decide accordingly what to do

My thoughts are with you and your family

Best wishes

It's so hard when pets get into their old age isn't it.?

The others are right I am sure you will know when the cat has had enough but I agree that because of your children it may be better to make the decision sooner rather than later.

Hope you and your family are able to focus on the fact that 20 years is an amazing age for a cat and he must have had a very happy life with you all. [i do know how hard it is as I have had my rabbit put to sleep last week]

Will be thinking about you.

Thnak you everybody I have had a good cry reading your replies. Sox is sleeping very peacefully most of the time today and so I am leaving him be at the mo...I think I will probably make the decision quickly when it is the right time...Thanks again...I have had a really difficult month hence I have not been on the forum much and this has just put the tin lid on it...may be another cry wil help... :cry:

So sorry to hear about your news, we had a similar problam with our 17 year old cat who was slowly dyeing of kidney faiure i think the kindest thing to do would be to put sox to sleep.

That way you will have time to say your goodbyes and he will die peacefully rather than having a fit, i know its not nice and iam totally sympathetic but i would rather say your goodbyes rather than waking up to a nasty suprise one morning :cry:

good luck to whatever you decide

xx

so sorry; you will know the right time to make the decision.

My little cornish rex cat died about six weeks ago, after beginning to fit in the early hours of the morning; it was quite distressing to find her like this, and I had to ring the local vet hospital and take her up there at 4.30 am. She never came out of the fit, so there was no loving goodbye. The consolation for me was that the vet said she would not have been aware of anything after the fit began, and so she wasn't suffering. It was not a pleasant experience for me, however, and I don't think you'd want your children to see that.

It's such a hard decision, give yourself and the family a bit of time to come to terms with it; but I honestly believe it's a privilege to be able to do this for our pets when the time comes. If only we could do the same for human beings.

It might be worth checking if your vet would come to your home to put him down (if you decide to do that). I know some will.

Both our cats finally died at home, aged 19 and 20. They both got extremely frail at the end, and needed total nursing, but had no pain.

We had Matilda, one of our first chickens put down though, as the vet recommended it. I was glad he did, as it saved me making the decision.

Each time we've followed the vet's advice really - it was easiest.

So sorry to hear about Sox. I can sympathise - it's such a hard decision to make. :( My only worry would be the fitting - my old retriever started fitting and it was so distressing (and scary to be honest) to watch, and she would be so dazed and wobbly afterwards :( (((Hugs)))

Dear all

Thank you for all your understanding .....Sox died very peacefully at the vets this morning...you were right about knowing it was time....

The children and I are off camping tomorrow and I think it will lift our spirits.

Sox 17-3-1987 to 27-7-2007 RIP

Oh Maria I'm so sorry to hear about Sox - nothing I can say will make you feel better but I'm sure you did the right thing.

Our Freddie used to sit in the sun all day so he is buried under the big tree in the garden where the sun still shines on him - all day.

Thinking off you

:cry: Sorry. Glad you knew when the time was right. Nothing helps, but the distraction of going camping - and not being at home, where you expect to see him in his usual places will make it a bit easier. Sounds like he had 20 very happy and loving years with you.