chicken bark

Kenwood chef

I've been umming and ahhing over which stand mixer to put on my Christmas wish list.

I love the look of the Kmix and Kitchenaid but decided to go for the more basic less funky looking model.

I've ordered this one: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/kenwood-premier-chef-kmc510-kitchen-machine-4-6l-1000w-white-03140919-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~Reevoo~Household+Appliances~03140919&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=wwimrllr&istBid=t

Please tell me I have made a good choice!

I have been using a chef for over 30 years ...love mine.....the current one I've had about 12 years and is used minimum once a week...it takes lots of little hands turning it on & off and on & off ...and makes great cakes....the one I had before that I was given and I have no idea how old it was but looking at 15 years plus....

Used others when out but would always return to my ken...... :D

I bought a KMix for myself for Christmas last year, and it's been invaluable. You have to live with the fact that it is always on the worktop (unless you have lots of cupboard space and the muscles of Hercules) but it is absolutely fabulous - I can put the butter and sugar in, and start it working while I weigh out the rest of the ingredients, it makes great pastry (one of my weak points) and I still haven't got round to making bread with it although I'm planning that soon. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Wow! That is a fantastic price! I have an orange 70's one and love it. I bought it for £15 from a charity shop. I need to get new beaters at my kind hubby :roll: put the current ones in the dishwasher and the coating is coming off. I am after stainless steel ones but they are £30 each! But prior to this, I used it at least once a week to make cakes, butter and bread dough. A real workhorse. I think you will be pleased when you use it :D

Our Kenwood chef is about 20 years old, and replaces one we borrowed from my mother (which was about 20 years old then, and which went back to her, and is still going strong). It has had not even a hiccough in all that time, except for the fantastic spatulas which come with them, but don't last that long. Even so, all spares are still available, and we've bought several extra attachments over the years, even though they're no longer current catalogue items.

They're bullet-proof, reliable, effective and worth their not inconsiderable weight in gold.

I remember my Mum having one when growing up and that lasted donkeys years.

If I can't find a place for it in the kitchen it shall live in the utility room - like you say too heavy to put in a cupboard really.

I shall have to get my thinking cap on for recipes now, can tackle more interesting ones as it won't be me doing the mixing. :D

Thanks bluekarin - I thought the price seemed a bargain too. I think it is because it is an end of line one but if they last as long as you all say and you can get spare parts for older models then I don't think I shall have much to worry about.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding new recipes; the old ones will be just fine. Particularly, you will now be able to make bread in the oven with not much more effort than it takes to use a breadmaker. And, IMHO, the bread is far better too, for all that breadmakers are good.

Totally agree! We have not bought a loaf since we got the Kenwood - it still needsto rise etc but its so easy when you get the hang of the timings! The possibilities are unlimited!

:)

Omleteers are always a source of inspiration.

Mine has arrived! Pity I need to put it away until Christmas day. :roll::lol:

I had purchased it intending to use it for cakes etc but will definitely have a go at bread now from reading the comments. I can just imagine the waft of fresh bread coming out of the oven. :drool: