Jenthelibrarian Posted January 14, 2013 Share Posted January 14, 2013 My hens haven't had snow before! I went out first thing and topped up the Glug with warm water and, on my way back from work, laid in supplies of pellets and corn. This afternoon I went out to them, opened their door, checked the water and food, collected two nice eggs, went off to get more straw for a warm bed and returned to find them still in their run and making cross 'what the hell is this??!!' noises. Sensible girls flatly refused to come out We've left them in with a seed bar hung up for chicken swing-ball as a boredom buster. They're not daft, are they? Snowy hens by jenthelibrarian, on Flickr Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted January 14, 2013 Share Posted January 14, 2013 Ahhh they don't want to get cold feet! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
good_egg Posted January 14, 2013 Share Posted January 14, 2013 Only one of mine (Buffy) braved it yesterday, the others were not interested! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted January 14, 2013 Share Posted January 14, 2013 Mine would not come out this morning either and I was all for leaving them in for a nice long snooze after having given them each some porridge, but OH put them all out 'to fend for themselves' - poor wee souls Needless to say they were all back in bed early this evening. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted January 17, 2013 Share Posted January 17, 2013 I gave mine some of last night's boiled rice rather than warm porridge this morning - little Houdini looked at it with disgust and walked away from it... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted January 18, 2013 Share Posted January 18, 2013 Today we had quite deep snow. Chickens totally un-amused . . . here they are hiding in their shelter not to be tempted out even for porridge. They scurried here as soon as I hoofed them out of their main house Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted January 18, 2013 Share Posted January 18, 2013 Hilarious morning!! My chickens ran to the shed door this morning as I opened it and skidded to a halt as they saw the snow! However the ones at the back didn't quite get the message and kept pushing until one by one the front runners plopped off the edge! It was so funny, they ran about with a shocked look on their face trying to lift their feet up! I was very amused even though the hens weren't! By the way, is there anything extra I should be doing over the snowy weather? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
blueandwhite Posted January 18, 2013 Share Posted January 18, 2013 Mine don't seem to mind at all. In fact I had to shut them in their run in the end as I was worried their legs would be freezing! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HennyPenny59 Posted January 18, 2013 Share Posted January 18, 2013 Mine jumped out of the coop and and made a lightning speed bolt straight into the polytunnel .. All day ive witnessed four little heads periodically poking their heads out from there to take a look at the white stuff. When it was time for them to go to bed, they ran back into their coop as fast as they had ran out. Mid afternoon, OH decided it was time to sweep all the snow away from the electric netting, and I can tell you they were not happy with that at all ... Even mealworms were ignored!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
charly1979 Posted January 19, 2013 Share Posted January 19, 2013 Mine were braver today but I did laugh Marilyn really hates standing in it (dont really blame her) so this morning whilst on the ramp deciding what to do she spotted Trixie out, jumped on Trixie to get to the feed troff to perch on it ! Will try and post some pics in a minute Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
charly1979 Posted January 19, 2013 Share Posted January 19, 2013 Marilyn and Isla girls perching on the food troof Give us a kiss Sussing out the white stuff Isla (the bluebell really really hates it) And Annie cant decide why she dislikes the snow, wether its the cold or the fact it highlights how unwhite she is Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
blueandwhite Posted January 20, 2013 Share Posted January 20, 2013 (edited) Brilliant photos, mine are bored with it now and spent most of day in eglu. Not stopped all day and this is the result ... you can just about see Ebay in the run - popped out for a treat! Edited January 20, 2013 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted January 20, 2013 Share Posted January 20, 2013 Great photos! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted January 21, 2013 Share Posted January 21, 2013 I love all the photos but that caption 'give us a kiss' really made me laugh Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
charly1979 Posted January 21, 2013 Share Posted January 21, 2013 I love all the photos but that caption 'give us a kiss' really made me laugh I have no idea what was going on Marilyn leaned over to her pecked and carried on as usual ??? they crack me up Prilly my semi broody choock got out of the run and has spent most of the afternoon in a strop because she cant get back in, I have now given in and she has shot back in the cube to sit on the eggs that I have removed (2 which im hoping means Connie is back in lay ) My girls seem to have accepted that the snow isnt going and are now scratching sround in it etc Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted January 21, 2013 Share Posted January 21, 2013 One of mine has gone broody. I reckon it is just an excuse to stay inside in the warm Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...