jeshen Posted January 31, 2013 Share Posted January 31, 2013 Very sad to tell you that the owlbeard chick we hatched last year (the only chick we've ever hatched) died this morning, after being puffed-up for a few days. I'd tried taking her indoors for a few days. She seemed to perk up a bit, (although her wings were still droopy) so we put her outside in the garden to FR with her friends as it was a sunnier warmish day. She was eating and drinking ok and seemed v happy to be back with her mates but I noticed that her bum was a bit messy. (She was wormed last November.) Then this morning I found her crouched outside her run. When I returned a few minutes later, she had died. She was such a feisty little character and had grown amazingly tame - I shall miss her very much. I just wonder if I should have done anything differently. Does anyone have any idea what might have been wrong with her, from her symptoms? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted January 31, 2013 Share Posted January 31, 2013 Oh NO jeshen.....so sad to read this Do you remember we were hatching last year at the same time??? How is her friend, Betty? I lost my beloved cockerel Monty suddenly in dec (we think he had Marek's and I had to have him PTS ) You like me will probably never know for sure, unless you have a PM done! I still miss Monty! SO sorry, BIG hug X RIP Wilma Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
good_egg Posted February 1, 2013 Share Posted February 1, 2013 So sorry to read this. Hugs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mrsatroy Posted February 1, 2013 Share Posted February 1, 2013 I'm so sorry to hear about Wilma. I have to get our lovely Imelda PTS this afternoon. I thought I wouldn't get too attached when I got the girls last year but I have - it's very hard *hugs* Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jeshen Posted February 1, 2013 Author Share Posted February 1, 2013 Thanks all - very kind. It's so good to have this forum as some outsiders might think it's daft to get so attached to a chicken. Yes, Mimi, I do remember us hatching at the same time last year. You were a lot more successful than me I think! Very sad for you about Mr Monty - he sounded a real character too. Also sorry to hear about Imelda, mrsatroy. Will think of you this afternoon. xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted February 1, 2013 Share Posted February 1, 2013 Thanks all - very kind. It's so good to have this forum as some outsiders might think it's daft to get so attached to a chicken. I'm sorry to read about your chick. There are lots of us that get very attached to our animals. I must admit when I first had chickens I didn't think I would be sad if any of them died but I was. More than I ever thought. I had four 6 week old chicks in the summer and 2 of them died. I found that really sad and I still think of them most days. I think of them more than any of the other chickens I've lost. At least your chick had a lovely life with you and you will have some lovely memories to remember. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
suebee Posted February 1, 2013 Share Posted February 1, 2013 Hi jeshen, I too, am sorry to hear of your loss. You're so right about folks thinking we're a bit soft. Away from this lovely forum, most think we're strange to be sad. Wishing you the very best of wishes. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted February 1, 2013 Share Posted February 1, 2013 Sorry to read this *hug* Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jeshen Posted February 1, 2013 Author Share Posted February 1, 2013 Again, thanks for your lovely support. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missusmac Posted February 1, 2013 Share Posted February 1, 2013 Hi, I'm really sorry to hear of your loss . As a first time owner, I have been surprised at how attached I've become to my chooks - they really do endear themselves to you don't they? I haven't faced this yet but sounds like you tried really hard to give her a good life. Hugs ... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted February 2, 2013 Share Posted February 2, 2013 Oh that's so sad. I've only ever seen pictures in books but loved the look of them (they're on the wishlist). It's so upsetting I know, I was heartbroken when I lost Dixie Leghorn, she was my first ever hatchling, where she was the only one for a day or so I carried her about in my pocket. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted February 2, 2013 Share Posted February 2, 2013 So sorry to hear about your loss. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs_B Posted February 4, 2013 Share Posted February 4, 2013 Am really sorry to hear about Wilma Huge hugs! x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...